Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
4-bit SD interface? — Parallax Forums

4-bit SD interface?

RaymanRayman Posts: 13,892
edited 2013-03-22 09:28 in Propeller 2
I've said in the past that 4-bit SD interface seemed to make more sense for P2...
Lonesock also meantioned that the speed up wouldn't be that great on P1.

I just took another look at the SD web site and some wiki pages and the legality of using 4-bit interface is still a little murky to me.
Actually, the legality of using the SPI interface also looks murky.
There is nothing there that says it's OK to use the SPI interface without a license...

So, appears to me that using a 4-bit interface is just as wrong as using a 1-bit interface...

It's pretty easy to find some 4-bit C code on the internet. You'd think the SD association would have shut that off, if it really were a problem...

Plus, I've read that Linux includes 4-bit access code (although I couldn't find the actual code).

Anyway, I think I'm going to plan on using all 4 bits on my first Prop2 board...

Comments

• SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-03-22 06:53
    Hi Rayman.

I don't think it is any problem to use it.

DE2-115 come with 4-Bit interface to SD and all necessary "C" programs to run that.

Rayman wrote: »
    I've said in the past that 4-bit SD interface seemed to make more sense for P2...
    Lonesock also meantioned that the speed up wouldn't be that great on P1.

I just took another look at the SD web site and some wiki pages and the legality of using 4-bit interface is still a little murky to me.
    Actually, the legality of using the SPI interface also looks murky.
    There is nothing there that says it's OK to use the SPI interface without a license...

So, appears to me that using a 4-bit interface is just as wrong as using a 1-bit interface...

It's pretty easy to find some 4-bit C code on the internet. You'd think the SD association would have shut that off, if it really were a problem...

Plus, I've read that Linux includes 4-bit access code (although I couldn't find the actual code).

Anyway, I think I'm going to plan on using all 4 bits on my first Prop2 board...
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2016-08-12 16:54
    I say go for it, as you don't need a license to use the connector and I can not see that they will tell you to not use all 4 traces on the pcb.
    As the user is supplying the software, I would assume they don't go after individual users.