Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
have question to contest registration — Parallax Forums

have question to contest registration

tanipattanipat Posts: 2
edited 2013-03-06 06:48 in Announcements
first question : My team studying in thailand . We want to submit my team to microMedic Contest 2013 but in website show this contest for developer in the United States and Canada. If we are in thailand we can submit for contest,we can't?

second question : My team have only 3 developer. Two in my team age around 22-23 years(studying in a university) and only one in my team age around 14 year old (in school) .we can submit my project in Public Participants or Educational Participants ?

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i'm sorry if my english languages is not good : )[/FONT]

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-02-27 20:57
    Hello tanipat,

I wish I could provide a positive answer to you, but as the contest is funded by the US Army's TATRC organization it is only open to American and Canadian citizens.

But welcome to the forums!

You might also want to get in contact with Chaiwat Limpinchlowi of INEX in Bangkok and ask him about what kinds of competitions are available for students in Thailand. He'll know exactly what to suggest to you.
  • tanipattanipat Posts: 2
    edited 2013-02-27 21:18
    thank you : )
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2013-02-28 15:28
    If you are a student who resides in US/Canada, develop the project here and would be taking the prize money in US/Canada, you should be good to go regardless of your citizenship.
  • redheadedrodredheadedrod Posts: 78
    edited 2013-03-05 05:47
    I am a Software Engineering student at Ferris State University in Michigan. I am looking at making a Bicycle Rider Performance monitoring project. I emailed the address listed on the page to see if this would qualify before I spend the time to make a video and went through the paperwork but never received a response. I would be trying to mimic stuff that is currently available for over $1500 for base stuff and for everything I would add you would need multiple devices if you can do it at all. I will not list my idea fully here but would love to give it a shot if I can qualify for a free kit. But basically one would be able to track a riders performance / conditioning levels. It would work either as a stationary bike or on the road. Or mixed use on road and stationary. Using wired and possibly wireless devices when it makes sense to do so.
    edited 2013-03-05 15:57
    Hi redheadedrod. Your application sounds cool but do you think its medical?

PS if you are residing in US, you should be able to apply.
  • redheadedrodredheadedrod Posts: 78
    edited 2013-03-06 01:00
    Hi redheadedrod. Your application sounds cool but do you think its medical?

PS if you are residing in US, you should be able to apply.
    Ok thank you, I will likely apply this weekend then.

As to medical use. I would think it would have medical uses but would be more of a cardiovascular and pulmonary testing suite. I would be tracking heart rate, power output (on road if possible using accelerometer, pedal rpm and total speed) as well as blood oxygen level (Although I don't think you can do this while riding. I think you can likely only use the tester when stationary which would require stopping periodically to test blood oxygen level.)
    Not sure if an EKG could be added to the system but with some research who knows. They seem to be relatively simple devices.

As a cyclist I can see it as a performance enhancing device since I can track my training but the same efforts could be used to get a soldier into shape much quicker on a bike than you could running. You could also track the efficiency of the persons lungs with the blood oxygen level and their level of conditioning with the performance monitoring.

Since I am in NO WAY a medical person I have no clue if this would actually be truly medical but in my mind I would think it would be since it would be a sort of mobile stress test.
    edited 2013-03-06 06:48
    interesting! Best of luck on your submission!