Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Information about free kits — Parallax Forums

Information about free kits

RuiSantosRuiSantos Posts: 3
edited 2013-03-13 16:32 in Announcements
Hi,
I'm really interested in participate in this contest and I would like to submit an application with a video to tell why I want to participate and what i would do (I have some ideas).
my question is, if there still free kits so I can have the chance to participate? or they're already gone?
I've just heard about this contest today and I can't find this information.
I know that we can participate without the kit, but in my opinion it's really difficult!

thanks in advance

Comments

• bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2013-02-06 10:20
    Welcome to the forum, RuiSantos! There are probably about 20-40 or so free kits left (I am just guessing on this number). Enter quickly! they may be gone in a few weeks!
    Good Luck,
    Bomber
  • RuiSantosRuiSantos Posts: 3
    edited 2013-02-06 10:23
    but there's any place where we can check if there are still some available?
    I have to admit that if i can't have a kit it's really hard for me to participate... anyway i would love to enter this contest
    I was thinking in submit my application next friday...
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-02-06 10:30
    You should email them... micromedic@parallax.com
  • RuiSantosRuiSantos Posts: 3
    edited 2013-02-06 12:20
    SRLM wrote: »
    You should email them... micromedic@parallax.com

Yeah that's what I've done.
    thanks !
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-02-07 13:15
    RuiSantos wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm really interested in participate in this contest and I would like to submit an application with a video to tell why I want to participate and what i would do (I have some ideas).
    my question is, if there still free kits so I can have the chance to participate? or they're already gone?
    I've just heard about this contest today and I can't find this information.
    I know that we can participate without the kit, but in my opinion it's really difficult!

thanks in advance

Hello RuiSantos - want to also welcome you to the Parallax forums!

We still have about 70 kits, and they're being distributed at the rate of about 10/week +/-.

Ken Gracey
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2013-02-07 15:44
    We gave out 16 or 17 kits this week. don't forget about submitting a video - those have been fun to watch.

Good luck RuiSantos
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-02-08 07:10
    Have all of the kits been given away already?
    edited 2013-02-08 15:33
    David, we still have a good number (50+) free kits remaining for distribution.
    edited 2013-02-08 16:11
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    David, we still have a good number (50+) free kits remaining for distribution.
    Cool! I'm trying to get my wife to work with me on a proposal. She's a cardiac nurse practitioner. Now we just need to come up with a good idea.
    edited 2013-02-08 18:05
    @David Betz - You can make a video and talk about stuff you've done and your commitment to completing a submission (without a fixed idea) - Then you could qualify for a kit and maybe get inspired by it then.
    edited 2013-02-08 18:22
    @David Betz - You can make a video and talk about stuff you've done and your commitment to completing a submission (without a fixed idea) - Then you could qualify for a kit and maybe get inspired by it then.
    Thanks! We'll try to make a video tomorrow. We're snowed in anyway! :-)
    Unfortunately, I've never done any kind of medical project before. My main contribution to the microcontroller community has been working on PropGCC so far.
  • bjimbestbjimbest Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-09 19:58
    Hello, I just found out about the contest. And since it has been a month since the free kit thread has been updated, I thought I would check to see if any free propeller kits are still available. I understand I will only need to provide a video with my application, if I am to receive a free kit. Best Regards, Jim
    edited 2013-03-09 20:36
    bjimbest wrote: »
    Hello, I just found out about the contest. And since it has been a month since the free kit thread has been updated, I thought I would check to see if any free propeller kits are still available. I understand I will only need to provide a video with my application, if I am to receive a free kit. Best Regards, Jim

Hey Jim, we still have about 25 free kits left of the Propeller version. They're going out, slowly but surely. The one-minute video is an appropriate screening tool to ensure they go to people who will actually compete. Your video needn't be exhaustive - just tell us who you are, what you do, and what you may do in the contest. You can change your project as time proceeds and your ideas change, too.
  • bjimbestbjimbest Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-10 07:28
    Thank You Ken, Just a couple more questions before submitting my proposed project. Could I submit my project plan now to get started, and then put a team together over the next few weeks and update my application with the new team member names? Or do I have to have the full team identified to start?
    edited 2013-03-10 20:09
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey Jim, we still have about 25 free kits left of the Propeller version. They're going out, slowly but surely. The one-minute video is an appropriate screening tool to ensure they go to people who will actually compete. Your video needn't be exhaustive - just tell us who you are, what you do, and what you may do in the contest. You can change your project as time proceeds and your ideas change, too.
    Do you have any of the Arduino kits left? While I will probably use a Propeller for this project, I already have several PropBOE boards (as you know!) so I'd like one of the Arduino kits. If there aren't any free Arduino kits available, do you have any left for sale?

Thanks,
    David
    edited 2013-03-13 16:32
    Hi GBJIMBEST

Yes.