Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ASC++ ? — Parallax Forums

ASC++ ?

TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
edited 2013-01-08 15:29 in Propeller 2
Are there any plans to recast the ASC+ using the P2? Seems that there is more than enough I/O avaialable on the P2 to make a really nice host for Arduino compatible boards and also have plenty of pins available for sound, video, keyboard, mouse etc.

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-01-08 11:08
    Are there any plans to recast the ASC+ using the P2? Seems that there is more than enough I/O avaialable on the P2 to make a really nice host for Arduino compatible boards and also have plenty of pins available for sound, video, keyboard, mouse etc.

The title is a very interesting name :)

I'd love to see a P2 ASC or DNA also. How would the header pins be laid out though?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-01-08 11:12
    You could possibly do it like the Arduino Mega does - keep the same pinout for the compatible part of the footprint and then just grow the board in length to support the extra pins (could be lots of extra board real estate - good or bad).
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-01-08 11:25
    jazzed wrote: »
    The title is a very interesting name :)

At the risk of causing all kinds of trouble, I hearby claim copyleft-and-right on the term "ASC++"

Hahahaha
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-01-08 11:29
    Martin could just call it "ASCII". Hmmmm... It seems like I've seen that somewhere before though...
    edited 2013-01-08 11:33
    just kidding about any claim....was in jest....a rose is a rose and the last thing we need is to be pricked by thorns :)
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-01-08 11:50
    My comment about the thread title was with respect to something else (let sleeping dogs lie) :)

There is a bigger Arduino footprint of course such as on the Arduino Mega or DUE pinout.

A DNA (Propeller Platform) footprint will be harder to figure out - I would get rid of the dual-row headers first and use stackers.

Regarding roses. They are a great lesson in beauty because to enjoy them fully means that you should know how to handle them - there is an analogy there for many, many things (and cheap song-writing fodder). I firmly believe that unless you have been pricked at least once that your life is not complete since you would have no basis for any fulfilling comparisons.
    edited 2013-01-08 11:58
    just of out of curiousity: Is there a C++ in the works for P1/P2? If not then ASC++ could be "confusing to some" (the danger of overloading the english language, eh?)

Like your observations on roses too. :)
    edited 2013-01-08 12:11
    just of out of curiousity: Is there a C++ in the works for P1/P2? If not then ASC++ could be "confusing to some" (the danger of overloading the english language, eh?)

Like your observations on roses too. :)

There is already both C and C++ for P1 and C is working on P2 as well. C++ for P2 will come shortly.
    edited 2013-01-08 12:16
    David Betz wrote: »
    There is already both C and C++ for P1 and C is working on P2 as well. C++ for P2 will come shortly.

nice!

I was keeping C/C++ for Px at arms length until the dust settled around that front some. Could be time to jump in though.
    edited 2013-01-08 12:24
    I think the dust has pretty well settled on the P1 version of PropGCC and if you are interested in an IDE, SimpleIDE is really a wonderful tool. If you have the time and energy to start jumping in, please do and provide any feedback you can with your experience in the PropGCC forum.

I'm not really a C programmer and I even like using it (in my own stilted manner)!
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2013-01-08 12:29
    I definitely will be making an Mega shield compatible using a P2.

--edit--

(And, no, I won't be calling it the "Analog Super Shield"...)
    edited 2013-01-08 12:31
    I definitely will be making an Mega shield compatible using a P2.
    MegaASC+?
    edited 2013-01-08 12:35
    David Betz wrote: »
    MegaASC+?

Sounds good! (are you claiming copyright on that?) ;)
    edited 2013-01-08 12:36
    ASC2+ ASC+2

D2NAE (DNA2NAE?) - DNA2 Not Arduino Either - these recursive acronyms break down at some point.
    RNA (Really Not Arduino)
    edited 2013-01-08 12:37
    mindrobots wrote: »
    ASC2+ ASC+2

D2NAE (DNA2NAE?) - DNA2 Not Arduino Either - these recursive acronyms break down at some point.
    RNA (Really Not Arduino)
    Speaking of DNA, wasn't that being sold by Parallax a while back? I don't see it in their store anymore. Or am I confusing DNA with ASC+?
    edited 2013-01-08 12:46
    mindrobots wrote: »
    ASC2+ ASC+2

AS2C | ! AS2C

that is the question

...sorry William.....
    edited 2013-01-08 12:47
    Sounds good! (are you claiming copyright on that?) ;)

Heee-Yuck!
    edited 2013-01-08 12:56
    The ASC+ is still being sold on Parallax's website. As fast as I can make them in fact. The DNA was never available at Parallax, but I've been meaning to ask them if they're interested.
    edited 2013-01-08 13:11
    Here's a 75% finished MegaASC design I was working on a while ago that uses the P1. The chip on the right was going to be an inexpensive Xilinx CPLD that handled some simple signal routing to the peripherals nearby. I had come up with a CPLD* configuration that would allow a simple 8-bit configuration word to be sent from the prop via the I2C bus that the EEPROM was on. This configuration word would re-route signals to either the VGA socket or the PS/2 and A/V connectors. Also notice there's no crystal for the Propeller? The CPLD had a 50-MHz MEMS oscillator that it divided down to either 5MHz or 6.25MHz depending on a bit in the aforementioned config word. Which means you could change the operating frequency of the Prop in software. Of course the CPLD could be reprogrammed to do whatever you want.

A P2 version of this would probably eliminate the peripherals and CPLD in favor of the added Arduino Mega headers that populate the right hand third of the board.

MegaASC.jpg
    1024 x 502 - 99K
    edited 2013-01-08 13:29
    A P2 version of this would probably eliminate the peripherals

Do you mean that you would remove connections/support-for a memory card, video, audio, keyboard and mouse etc? Just trying to understand what you mean (I swear some days it feels like I am ESL)
    edited 2013-01-08 14:13
    I mean it would look more like this: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560
    edited 2013-01-08 14:46
    okay. thanks for clarifying. cheers!
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2013-01-08 15:29
    Martin,

As you probably know the 2560 is widely used with 3D printers (RAMPS boards plug into it to drive the steppers). I say definitely do it!

cheers
    Lachlan