Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerHeads of the Carolinas — Parallax Forums

PropellerHeads of the Carolinas

doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
edited 2012-12-15 04:47 in General Discussion
I have an idea. I'm not sure if I can make it work but here goes. I want to form a local users' group for meet-ups and get-togethers. I'm thinking very informal perhaps even a 'hacker space' theme but emphasis on using the Prop (and other Parallax products of course.)

I've noticed the term 'PropellerHeads' thrown around here a few times in reference to those of us that use the Parallax Propeller in some form or fashion in a professional or hobby environment. So I thought PropellerHeads of the Carolinas would be a good name. Or maybe Carolina PropellerHeads.

I did some quick research on the name and it seems there are a few uses of some variation on Propellerhead(s) out there.

•PropellerHeads appears to be a British band.

•PropellerHead appears to be a music 'device' company, perhaps remix, DJ sort of product - I didn't delve into it any further.

•Propeller Head Software is a local (to Charlotte, NC) software company.

Any suggestions on names? I don't know if I'll run into any issues with the name PropellerHeads of the Carolinas or not.

Are there any Parallax Forumistas that are close enough to the Charlotte, NC metro area that would be interested in my idea for a regular get-together?

Paul

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-03 05:45
    Sounds like a fun thing to try.

I wonder if there a Propellerheads in many are with enough density to get this to work? Jeff (OBC) and I are within 20-30 minutes of each other. There are a few know other suspects in Or near NE Ohio.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-11-03 05:59
    I suspect density of users is going to be the biggest issue.
    edited 2012-11-03 06:32
    Yes, many of us around here a very dense at times!!! :0)
    edited 2012-11-03 06:43
    @Rick - Good one. :D

I had another idea for a name: Propeller Users Group or PUG. Once it catches on like wildfire, different chapters all over the world could have regional names like "Medina PUG" or "PUG of the Carolinas". Naturally a logo with a Pug wearing a beanie hat will required.
    edited 2012-11-03 06:48
    Cool, if I register medina-PUG as a non-profit, I think I can't get a really neat room at the Medina college extension......I can go sit by myself and use the smart board and the tele-teaching facilities!!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    edited 2012-11-03 08:41
    You go, Funky Cold Medina Boy!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-11-03 09:05
    Expand you region? NEOPUG? (North East Ohio Propeller Users Group) You've got some Propellerheads south of you who have a workshop/meeting place which could be opened as well.

Jeff
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-11-03 10:04
    Would you mind a person from NW PA (Meadville) invade "NEOPUG"? If it was to meet on weekends I wouldn't mind the 90 -120 minute drive for a monthly get together. I know of one person in Erie PA that may be interested in it as well.
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2012-11-03 10:17
    The first meeting of Pugs of Kansas is called to order. (chirp.... chirp.....)
    edited 2012-11-03 11:14
    The first meeting of Pugs of Kansas is called to order. (chirp.... chirp.....)
    Yeah, that's about what I get around here. Perhaps more folks will turn up. I might have to offer some of my prized Parallax Collection as a door prize. :D
    edited 2012-11-03 12:04
    OK, our little local PUGs are suffering with attendance issues (except maybe NEOPUG, since we have Mr. "Projects Not Platforms" just minutes away (we'll have to look into that)

What if we do virtual PUG meetings through Google Groups or something like that? Meet globally, appear locally. Not the same but at least some sort of gathering of critical Propeller brain mass. Just thinking out loud here on a rainy Saturday afternoon.
    edited 2012-11-03 14:22
    mindrobot, that sounds like an excellent idea! I know Savage Circuits once even had a Goto Meeting set up for a mee! That was the next best thing to being there.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-11-03 14:30
    PropellerHead Users of Carolina :innocent:
    edited 2012-11-03 14:37
    Keep it up Martin and you'll end up in the after hours forum!! :0)
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2012-11-04 01:16
    Can skype handle multiple users conferenced together? Or if audio only is ok, how about multi point conference calling? Corps doe this all the time. CABMET host a CBET prep this way before each testing cycle. Create the IPUC, International Prop Users Community.
    edited 2012-11-04 02:49
    Skype does conferencing I'm pretty sure. But my idea was to get some sort of regularly scheduled meet-up and really I think a focus on sharing and learning would be best. One thing that keeps me thinking this might work is to develop a mission charter/statement that is oriented towards education at the middle and high school levels.

I also envision a separate approach like a hacker's space that I mentioned in my original post. I expect that might devolve ( or evolve ) into a broader group that might include other platforms and styles.

The only Prop users I know around me are MakerDino (3 hour drive) and devbisme ( also about 3 hours) so I am smelling a fail on this at the local level - for me anyway. You guys in the Ohio area might have a little better luck with a start.

As for video conferencing, it adds a realtime element that we don't get here in the forums.
    edited 2012-11-04 06:15
    Oh, great! We're aPropellerhead swing state too. :0( I can't handle the pressure..
  • RforbesRforbes Posts: 281
    edited 2012-11-04 07:04
    I'm near Asheville, NC. I'd enjoy gettin' something together- but I'm NOT going to wear a beanie cap with a propeller on top. :smile:

I don't have a ton of free time but I'm game for making the attempt, etc.

Robert
    edited 2012-11-04 16:03
    Good to know Robert. I'll post more here as I figure out some details.
    edited 2012-11-04 21:16
    Asheville is a nice drive "over the hills" for me. I might be coaxed to continue on to Charlotte.
  • RforbesRforbes Posts: 281
    edited 2012-11-05 05:53
    Martin-

You got me thinking.... how do folks like us become coaxed? I mean- we coax our drinking buddies with beer... our kids with candy... our spouses with flowers or just lots and lots of begging...our employees with raises (or threats of a career elsewhere!) and then there's us.

We get coaxed by cool resistors and thingamabobs or nifty ways of looking at all those awesome 1's and 0's. No wonder my wife makes fun of me. :lol:
    edited 2012-11-05 09:45
    Rforbes wrote: »
    how do folks like us become coaxed?

Two words: "Pizza Buffet"
    edited 2012-11-05 10:23
    I'm there!!! PIZZA!!!!!!!!!! :)
    edited 2012-11-05 22:40
    Maybe you could start the first UPSE......

FF
    edited 2012-11-06 03:04
    Maybe you could start the first UPSE......

FF
    I'm liking that idea.
    edited 2012-12-12 16:19
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-12-12 16:31
    It's FRANK! Great mascot!

Jeff
    edited 2012-12-12 16:44
    My thoughts exactly! His name is Tug and he's my patient. :D

I asked his mommy the other day if she had a beanie hat for him so I could take his picture. She came through!!
    edited 2012-12-12 17:06
    Hey, i got a hat like that sorta at Frys the other week....er actually my wife found it for me.....
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 215
    edited 2012-12-14 09:30
    Well, I'm not in the Carolinas, but I am just under 30 minutes from Roanoke rapids NC, even though I live in VA, so I suppose some saturday driving could be in order if I could convince the wife there's a habitat for humanity store nearby the meeting place.
    She loves that store.
    Of course, kids would need to be welcome too, since babysitters are something we're chronically short on.
    Got two, 7 and 10. Could prove interesting though.
    But, if someone at the meeting can solder, I'm there. :)