Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NE PROPELLERHEADS: UPENE August 25th, 2012 REGISTRATION OPEN — Parallax Forums

NE PROPELLERHEADS: UPENE August 25th, 2012 REGISTRATION OPEN

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2012-08-31 20:00 in Propeller 1
The original UPENE will be hosted once again in Norwalk, OH on August 25th, 2012.

We will be using the gym again this year, so we've got plenty of room for your robots!
(UPENE is has always been a popular expo with our Propeller robotics enthusiasts.)

Registration is open: http://upene2012.eventbrite.com/

Motels (Rate quoted for August 24th-August 25th)

Use this link for Google Maps link showing motels in relation to the expo location:

A Econo $70.00
B Best Western Norwalk $109.99 (AAA = 10% off)
C Royal Motel (language barrier prevented me from getting rate)
D All American Inn & Suites Hotel $89.00
E Americas Best Value $69.00 (press 1, then 1 again)

OBC

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-07-11 07:48
    Excellent! I guess this means I need to get busy and finish my robots and decide what to bring...

Robert
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-07-11 07:59
    YAY!!! Coming to a town near you!!
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,090
    edited 2012-07-11 15:46
    Good to hear the date, got to make arrangements for the dog! This gives me a deadline for getting as much done on the robot as possible for the expo. Let us know when hotel arrangements are made!

Bob
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-07-11 17:56
    Great news! I've been getting antsy about going since I have a project I want to bring this year, My Prop-Arduino system.
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2012-07-11 20:24
    Sorry, I cannot attend as my wife won't let me miss our new babies delivery date. Maybe I can bring a prop boe and laptop to labor and delivery. I'll miss you guys.
    edited 2012-07-11 20:34
    I was on a project once where the project manager knew the date of one of the guy's wife's c-section and asked if they could move it a couple of days either wauy since it conflicted with a project milestone date. That project manager was well loved for many reasons.

....but, this is for Propeller stuff....
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-07-12 09:40
    OBC,
    It's on my calendar. Any deals on hotels yet ?

I'll be coming in Friday to help setup. We MUST get some meet-ups organized. I love talking shop with the guys.

I probably won't have anything to sell, I want to really enjoy it this time. I might bring some stuff for the free table...

I hope Ken will be there. I want to harass him into hiring me ;)

Bean
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-07-12 11:16
    I'm going to try to overcome my severe agoraphobia and attend this one! All I ask is that nobody punch me in the face! (stomach is okay)
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-07-12 16:50
    @Martin,

The good news is that we are meeting in a gym that would easily hold 700+ people, and while I love seeing groups, we won't have nearly that many. You'll have plenty of elbow, run, and overhead room to spare. :) As for face punching, we generally frown on that, with the exception that I have been shot at by robot projectiles (all in fun of course!) because it's a blast to torment the guy in charge. :)

OBC
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-07-12 17:29
    Bean wrote: »
    I hope Ken will be there. I want to harass him into hiring me ;)

Bean

Ah, Bean, you don't want to work for us anyway. Once the inventory is free for your own use it just doesn't look the same. Managers are demanding and don't understand what they're talking about.

I won't be at UPENE. This summer happens to be the most demanding summer I've ever experienced at Parallax. Between travel, events, a new web site, Propeller 2 preparations and a massive manufacturing effort we're really tired. We could use a much larger team, but we've got to get Propeller 2 out to cover our costs. We're at the tail end of funding our next step.

Truthfully, there's over a dozen forum members we'd love to hire at Parallax. And you're already one of them.
    edited 2012-07-13 04:00
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Ah, Bean, you don't want to work for us anyway. Once the inventory is free for your own use it just doesn't look the same. Managers are demanding and don't understand what they're talking about.

I won't be at UPENE. This summer happens to be the most demanding summer I've ever experienced at Parallax. Between travel, events, a new web site, Propeller 2 preparations and a massive manufacturing effort we're really tired. We could use a much larger team, but we've got to get Propeller 2 out to cover our costs. We're at the tail end of funding our next step.

Truthfully, there's over a dozen forum members we'd love to hire at Parallax. And you're already one of them.

Thanks for the kind words Ken.

It's like playing music and singing. It's all really fun until you join a band and you HAVE to do it.

I know this guy who writes his own songs, plays and sings really well. He has been ask many times to join bands, but he won't do it. He says it would take all the fun out of it. And I have to agree with him.

P.S. We are gonna miss you at the UPENE...I mean, who is going to pick-up the tab when we go out to eat ? LOL

Bean
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2012-07-13 06:17
    For a second the other day, I got slightly enthused when I saw the title of this thread "NE PROPELLERHEADS: Add this to your calendar: UPENE August 25th, 2012" - because I am from the North East (NE) and from New England (NE) - so I blindly thought "Hmm, NE - perhaps I can go to this one" - but then opened it up and read OHIO!!! Certainly North East of Parallax, but hmmmmm....

What am I missing here???
    edited 2012-07-13 06:50
    Directions such as NE can be misleading since they are referenced to a relative spot. For example I live near the town of North East PA but I live in North West PA! North East is in the northeastern corner of the "chimney" section of the state.
    edited 2012-07-13 09:29
    @all

Working on motel data now, will post as soon as I have it. I'll open official registration for this show on Monday.
    I apologize for the delay in registration. We are working with a new team of folks at the facility and I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page before taking that step.

OBC
    edited 2012-07-23 10:26
    Registration is open! http://upene2012.eventbrite.com/
    edited 2012-07-23 10:39
    I'm signed up! Best $7.14 I've spent today!!!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-07-23 10:41
    The original UPENE will be hosted once again in Norwalk, OH on August 25th, 2012.

We will be using the gym again this year, so we've got plenty of room for your robots!
    (UPENE is has always been a popular expo with our Propeller robotics enthusiasts.)

Registration is open: http://upene2012.eventbrite.com/

OBC

Darn! When I read the subject of this message I thought "NE" stood for "New England". Is there any chance of a Boston-area event at some point?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-07-23 11:55
    David Betz wrote: »
    Darn! When I read the subject of this message I thought "NE" stood for "New England". Is there any chance of a Boston-area event at some point?

+1 for Boston or NY based event. I'm in CT and either would be good. We need to clone Jeff, or one of us could start the ball rolling, ( with Jeff's permission of course).

Is that "Old Iron sides" in the avatar? Been on it a few times in my youth.

Jim
    edited 2012-07-23 12:49
    Publison wrote: »
    Is that "Old Iron sides" in the avatar? Been on it a few times in my youth.
    Yes, we were on a Boston Harbor cruise when that picture was taken.
    edited 2012-07-23 13:12
    +1 for Boston or NY based event. I'm in CT and either would be good. We need to clone Jeff, or one of us could start the ball rolling, ( with Jeff's permission of course).

I'd be happy to start looking for venues, hotels, eatery's for the "Real NE UPENEG" (NEG meaning New England". If Jeff wants to pursue this, he can PM me. I have some time on my hands right now to get this going.

Jim

edited 2012-07-23 13:34
    I'm finishing up finding all the hotel/motel venues for UPENE and you guys want me to start working on NEG? :)

We've internally talked about an NY or BOSTON event in the past, so who knows.. it could happen..

OBC
    edited 2012-07-23 13:36
    I'm finishing up finding all the hotel/motel venues for UPENE and you guys want me to start working on NEG? :)

We've internally talked about an NY or BOSTON event in the past, so who knows.. it could happen..

OBC
    If you decide to do one near Boston let me know and I'll try to help out. I live in New Hampshire.
    edited 2012-07-23 13:36
    NO, UPENEG WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE!!! (There, I said it!!!) :lol:
    edited 2012-07-23 13:37
    Just registered.
    Can't wait...

Bean
    edited 2012-07-23 15:26

OBC

Jeff, I'll start another thread so as to not pollute this one.

Jim
    edited 2012-07-23 15:27
    Jeff, I'll start another thread so as to not pollute this one.

Jim

Don't sweat it! This thread is open for any and all Unofficial Propeller Expo discussion.

OBC
    edited 2012-07-23 16:56
    Don't sweat it! This thread is open for any and all Unofficial Propeller Expo discussion.

OBC

Cool Beans.

Just trying to find a mapping product now that pinpointthis and frappr are gone. Would like to get a map of just the New England crowd and see what kind of numbers we come up with.

Jim
    edited 2012-07-24 19:47
    I just registered! I have gone to every UPENE so far! Can't wait to get together with other Propellerheads :).
    edited 2012-07-25 19:31
    All signed up! Now I have a deadline to get more of the robot ready for the Expo... that's what is called incentive.
    edited 2012-07-27 12:25
    Any hotel information/setup available yet?