Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
C compiler for the SX processors — Parallax Forums

C compiler for the SX processors

4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
edited 2012-07-08 10:45 in General Discussion
I'm wondering if anyon knows of a C compiler for the SX micros? I saw references to a C compiler for the SX procs and was wondering if someone still had a copy or if it's still available at a "reasonable" price.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-06-25 08:46
    At the time that the SXes were really happening, C compilers are thousands of dollars for just about any micro-controller. I think you could have bought one, but why would you?

The reality now is that it is EOL. So are you wanting to invest big bucks in a compiler or do you want a freebie?

If you want a freebie, I think you are going to have to adapt a public domain PIC 16c57 C compiler to SX assembler. It can work, but you are likely to feel the Lone Ranger after Tonto died. Take a look at www.sxlist.com and www.piclist.com for comparison of the assembly languages and the physical silicon.

It is a project that just about nobody would take on, unless you just happen to want acquire such low level construction of C compiler skills. In that case, it could be very rewarding.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-06-25 09:40
    Try these guys:

I had a customer once who tried a C compiler for the SX, with so-so results. ('Not sure if it was the ByteCraft version.) Be aware that the SX architecture, with its segmented memory space, is not very C-friendly.

-Phil
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2012-06-25 12:35
    At the time that the SXes were really happening, C compilers are thousands of dollars for just about any micro-controller. I think you could have bought one, but why would you?

The reality now is that it is EOL. So are you wanting to invest big bucks in a compiler or do you want a freebie?

If you want a freebie, I think you are going to have to adapt a public domain PIC 16c57 C compiler to SX assembler. It can work, but you are likely to feel the Lone Ranger after Tonto died. Take a look at www.sxlist.com and www.piclist.com for comparison of the assembly languages and the physical silicon.

It is a project that just about nobody would take on, unless you just happen to want acquire such low level construction of C compiler skills. In that case, it could be very rewarding.

Back in the hey day of the SX processor most software tools cost stupid amounts of money and no I'm not interested in paying much money for a C compiler and would prefer a free one.

My interest in a C compiler for the SX is more of a curiosity since I saw mention of C compilers for it than anything I would be interested or will to invest a lot of time or money in. The architecture of the SX doesn't lend itself well to C and I doubt it will be all that usefull.
    edited 2012-06-25 14:01
    I guess we now know why the Propeller has a flat memory map, C demands it.
    edited 2012-06-26 06:24
    I guess we now know why the Propeller has a flat memory map, C demands it.

It would still be nice to see what kind of code the compiler would generate though.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-06-29 16:14
    There are a couple differenct C compilers that I am aware of. One of them is available for free. You can read more about it here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?108373-C4SX-compiler-update&highlight=compiler

http://www.bknd.com/cc1b/index.shtml

I may still have a full copy of one of the retail C compilers for the SX chips that I probably don't need any more if the one above doesn't work out.

Robert
    edited 2012-06-29 19:45
    There are a couple differenct C compilers that I am aware of. One of them is available for free. You can read more about it here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?108373-C4SX-compiler-update&highlight=compiler

http://www.bknd.com/cc1b/index.shtml

I may still have a full copy of one of the retail C compilers for the SX chips that I probably don't need any more if the one above doesn't work out.

Robert

I've down loaded the free compiler and will give it a try in the next couple of days. Thanks for the link.
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2012-07-03 17:14
    It may be EOL, but I'm still chugging along with SX/B

What a great chip!
    edited 2012-07-04 12:10
    It may be EOL, but I'm still chugging along with SX/B

What a great chip!

I'm with you. The SX was an important low end chip for Parallax. I'm hoping they do something at the low end after the prop-2 is out.
    edited 2012-07-08 08:55
    I too have a stock pile of SXes - SX18s, SX28s, SX48s, and even a few SX52s. So even though I say I am willing to go over to PICs, I really haven't done much about doing so. I still have to buy a PIC Programmer for USB.

My main interest still lies in Assembly language, though I have done a project or two with SX/B
    edited 2012-07-08 10:45
    I too have a stock pile of SXes - SX18s, SX28s, SX48s, and even a few SX52s. So even though I say I am willing to go over to PICs, I really haven't done much about doing so. I still have to buy a PIC Programmer for USB.

My main interest still lies in Assembly language, though I have done a project or two with SX/B

I've got a lifetime supply of both the 28s and 48s and at least for now there are plenty of both available. It would still be nice to have Parallax produce a nice low end pic type micro.