Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Advanced S2 pen lifter kit — Parallax Forums

Advanced S2 pen lifter kit

NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
edited 2012-12-05 19:32 in Robotics
Hello everybody!

I bet that if you use the S2 robot for scribbling activities you have also dreamed a pen lifter for your robot.
Personally I was inspired from two amazing projects in order to create my own Kit:
1) The “Savage Circuits TV Episode 9” from Chris Savage
2) And the “Parallax S2 internal Pen lifter mod” from Rich Harman (W9GFO)
My suggestion combines characteristics from both above proposals.
The Kit I suggest is very easy to install and it is also internal and a 100% invisible from the outside of the robot. So it doesn’t change at all the external characteristic of your S2. However the best advantage of this kit is the fact that you can build it without open the robot. So you avoid the complicate measurements and tests. When you finished the kit construction you can open your S2 and install it into the robot following 2 simple modifications.

Here is my kit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=90450&d=1331383284

The kit consisted of : a Hitec Hs-55 servo(1), an aluminum servo bracket (2), a plastic “lift cup” (3), a servo horn that it is inclouded on the Hitec servo(4), a small srew that is inclouded in the Hitec servo pack (5) and three 4-40 x3/8 screws and nuts (6).
attachment.php?attachmentid=90449&d=1331383276

In order to build and install the kit into your S2 robot you also need two spin codes:

1) “S2_Servo_pen_center.spin” which centers the servo Pen and 2) the “S2_pen_lifter_test.spin” which tests if the kit lifts Up and Down the pen properly.

Two mondifications are nessesary in order to install the Kit into your S2 robot chassis:
1)You have to drill a hole of the botton of the S2 chassis (you can avoid this modification if you use some glue in order to stick the Kit into the robot) Personally I don’t like very much the use of glue .So I recommend to open the hole and use a screw and a nut.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90451&d=1331383285

2)You must remove 10mm from the pen tube on the upper part of the robot chassis using a Dremel tool in order to give the necessary space for your pen lifter’s movements.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90452&d=1331383286

I hope that the following video will give you answers for any questions you may have about the kit.

I also send you the SketchUp model with the pen lifter Kit. Users who have a 3d printer will be able to create easily the “lift cap” and the servo bracket using this model.
I would like to thanks Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) and Rich Harman (W9GFO) for their precious help in order to overcome my difficulties with the Pen lifter’s software and Ken Gracey (Parallax) for his generous offer (the S2 Robots) which gave me the opportunity to experiment with the robot.

Nikos Giannakopoulos

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-03-10 07:06
    Very nice Nikos G. keeping the servo internal to the S2, makes it all neat and tidy..

It might be asking alot of some folks to dremel the 10mm from the pen tube, Maybe if you could supply a template for that,
    or maybe some instruction for a peice of 10mm wide tape, one could wrap around the pen tube,(to mark the cut line.)
    that might add confidence to anyone wanting to try this...

-Tommy
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2012-03-10 09:14
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Very nice Nikos G. keeping the servo internal to the S2, makes it all neat and tidy..

It might be asking alot of some folks to dremel the 10mm from the pen tube, Maybe if you could supply a template for that,
    or maybe some instruction for a peice of 10mm wide tape, one could wrap around the pen tube,(to mark the cut line.)
    that might add confidence to anyone wanting to try this...

-Tommy
    Hi Tommy

You have absolutely right. As I tried to create the video I removed mistakenly from my camera the scene with the tube cutting...
    As you understand it was impossible to film again this scene because I had already cut the pen tube.
    I will add the kit and to the rest of my S2 robots and I'll make more clear this procedure.
    However the "KEY PART" of the kit is the "lift cup". If the Lift cup is adapted right into the neath pen tube and it can move up and down properly it doesn't matter how accurate you will cut the upper tube.
    In fact you can cut the upper tube from 6 mm to 12 mm.
    Don't hesitate to construct the kit. You can start without open your S2 robot. When you finish the kit construction its installation is very easy. Trust me...
    edited 2012-03-10 09:32
    As you understand it was impossible to film again this scene because I had already cut the pen tube.
    Exactly why you might want a template and/or instructions for this very permanent action...:)

Say, what is your "lift cup" made from?, can it hold a set screw? so one could clamp a pencil instead of a marker.
    If so, cool, no more accidental permanent marker lines on the floor from errant S2's...

-Tommy
    edited 2012-03-10 10:05
    Tommy,

You believe it or not.....
    the "lift cup" before became a this serious part on my kit....
    was a chaff plastic bolt.
    My Dremel tool made the difference again...

attachment.php?attachmentid=90475&d=1331402292

However the plastic of this bolt was excelent.....
    When I tried the screw it was extremelly stand on it....
    The plastic is the same material which is used by the 3d printers.
    For this reason I believe that a 3d printer owner can create the kit very easy!!!

.... Or even better maybe Parallax would can make some of these lifter cups using the same material in which is made the Eddie robot base...
    445 x 762 - 28K
  • tim1986tim1986 Posts: 41
    edited 2012-03-10 21:08
    Great project Nickos! Well done!
    -Tim Ballas
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-03-10 22:04
    Nice NIkos! I think you need a 3d printer...
    edited 2012-03-10 22:29
    Most definitely looks like your lift cup could maybe hold 4/40 machine threads, (or the metric equivalent :)
    You could leave some of the wrench flat on the "chaff plastic bolt", drill and tap for a set screw to hold a pencil...
    Or...if you got yourself a nice 3D printer....

Either way, Your pen lifter looks great!.

-Tommy
    edited 2012-03-11 03:54
    Well guys,

The 3d printer would be the perfect machine in my home-Lab but I’m afraid that it will remain a dream for me.
    The last 3 months I have paid 1800 Euros =2360 Dollars for extra taxies! And new taxies are coming soon from the Greek goverment…..
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-03-12 10:53
    Nikos, you've done it again! Way cool S2 mod, I'm always excited to see what you come up with next! :]
    edited 2012-03-14 06:25
    Nikos, you've done it again! Way cool S2 mod, I'm always excited to see what you come up with next! :]

Dear Jessica,

Your amazing educational videos have ispired me and my students! Your way is unique and we are your fan!
    We have based on your fantasic video : "Scribble Your Name with the S2 Robot" , and we work on a new project with the name: "Alphabet for S2 robot: A collaborative project".
    I will start a new thread in the forum very soon with the educational stuff that I have collected, and some istruction about the way somebody can contribute in this project.
    My students will be the first participants in this project, which the main purpose is to create several types of alphabet for the scribbler 2 robot.
    If you find interesting and practical the idea of this project a new video from you, with your unique temperament probably woud be able to help and attract students teachers and hobbyist around the world in order to participate.

Cheers,
    Nikos
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-03-14 10:20
    Nikos,

I love the idea! It's actually a project that I've been wanting to work on for some time now and haven't been able to.

Please let me know how I can help - it would be my pleasure!

-- Jessica
    edited 2012-03-15 12:57
    Nikos,

I love the idea! It's actually a project that I've been wanting to work on for some time now and haven't been able to.

Please let me know how I can help - it would be my pleasure!

-- Jessica

Hi Jessica,

Here is the project: “Alphabet for S2”: a collaborative project.

Nikos
    edited 2012-12-02 07:34
    Hi,

I recall this old thread because I have made the kit's components using a 3D printer.
    Here is the result:

attachment.php?attachmentid=97464&d=1354462197

I also posted the files on the Tningiverse site for 3d printing objects.
    I hope this is helpful for everyone who wants to create the kit.

Cheers,
    Nikos
    edited 2012-12-03 16:46
    Looks great NikosG.
    And good work with this alphabet, I use it to entertain the grand kids when they stop by.

What 3D printer are you using?

-Tommy
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-12-03 18:45
    Nice work Nikos!
    edited 2012-12-04 14:14
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Looks great NikosG.
    And good work with this alphabet, I use it to entertain the grand kids when they stop by.

What 3D printer are you using?

-Tommy
    Tommy,

I'm glad you like the alphabet.
    The 3D printer I use is named Creatr. It comes from a Netherland's company and is based on ArduinoMega 2560 Board. I have made some small modifications on it and I'm trying to intergrade it with Parallax boards and electronics in order to extend its abilities.
    edited 2012-12-04 14:28
    Whit wrote: »
    Nice work Nikos!
    Thanks Whit!

This year I direct a school project (with another teacher) based on S2 robot that has as theme the ecclesiastic symbols.
    We also hope to extend the alphabet project creating the Byzantine alphabet which is based on the early ecclesiastic tradition
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-12-05 19:32
    Very cool Nikos!