Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
APRS — Parallax Forums

APRS

g3cwig3cwi Posts: 262
edited 2012-08-07 16:13 in Propeller 1
Dear all

I found some APRS/AX25 code here based on Phil Pilgrim's Bell 202 modem:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?136334-Parallax-Propeller-Near-Space-Balloon&highlight=aprs

I have the code running but it does not sound like AX25 neither does it sound like Phil's modem. The idle tone is different and the burst is shorter - data rate sounds too high. Has anyone else got anywhere with this software?

I am trying to implement an APRS beacon.

Regards

Richard
G3CWI

Comments

• g3cwig3cwi Posts: 262
    edited 2012-03-02 10:12
    Sorted it! APRS needs a six character callsign. Mine is five which broke the code. The simple addition of one space fixed it and the APRS is now working.

Regards

Richard
    G3CWI
    edited 2012-03-02 11:13
    Yes! It actually works. Amazing. APRS here I come.
    edited 2012-03-03 05:16
    Dear all

The APRS object left by :

'#################################################################################################
    ' SUNSET
    ' Stellenbosch University Near Space Engineering Testbed
    ' 26/09/2011
    ' Alex Erlank
    '#################################################################################################

...did not work straight out of the packet (!) I suspect that Alex deposited a non-working beta cut by mistake. However with a lot of head scratching and remote diagnostics (using the APRS network itself as a simple debug method), I now have a working object. Alex's code did a lot of stuff that didn't need to be there in my application so I have stripped a lot of things out and tidied things up. I also commented the code. My code is very basic but works just fine.

I can think of lots of nice enhancements.

Regards

Richard
    G3CWI

APRS OBJECT.zip
  • leggsleggs Posts: 21
    edited 2012-03-03 06:46
    I'm glad someone else has found a use for my code!

Sorry that the code wasn't more user friendly. At the time there were a few people who were interested in the code so I posted what I had as soon as I got something working. I ended up using APRS to track a near space balloon. Thanks for cleaning up the code! Post it in the OBEX when you feel it is neat and reliable enough. Took me a long time and a lot of troubleshooting to get working initially!

Regards
    Alex
    edited 2012-03-03 06:50
    Alex

Thanks for sharing it. You had inadvertently disabled the GPS Mini Code which took some tracking down! I have stripped out the GSM, Video and sensor parts and removed the Config file. I also tidied up a few bits (cosmetic only). It makes APRS a really easy weekend project.

Any further balloon launches in the offing?

Regards

Richard
    G3CWI
  • JACommsJAComms Posts: 2
    edited 2012-08-07 16:13
    do you have a final circuit for your design to post for us all to look at ?

Justin