Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability) - Page 23 — Parallax Forums

Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability)

Comments

• ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-01-12 17:24
    Thanks W9GFO I didn't see any in the picture you posted earlier they are from a thicker material than the chassis parts. Hopefully Ken will chime in.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-01-12 17:37
    If you look in the upper right hand corner, you can see the ends of a few. They are made of 1/4" Delrin, it measures 0.262" thick.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-01-12 18:36
    schill wrote: »
    I will admit that mine is still in the box it came in. Things have been very busy around here.
    While I have started to assemble mine, I haven't flown it yet because I'm still without a radio and battery. I guess I'd better order my Spektrum DX6i sometime real soon! :-)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-01-12 18:47
    @ratronic, until we get these parts online I will be sending them out for free.

Please drop me your shipping address to kgracey@parallax.com and I'll send you another set pronto!

Ken Gracey
    edited 2012-01-12 19:10
    Done - thanks Ken.
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2012-01-13 00:11
    You are not the only to crash !

Waiting for spare parts I found aluminium flat bars at the next DIY (2 m long* 2mm thick*15 mm width)

Easy to cut and bend it works nicely to make a new landing gear and fly.

Jean Paul
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-01-13 08:45
    We will have a crash pack available for purchase today. Here is a list of the items in the crash pack and the price:

4 - APC 10X4.7SF Propellers
    4 - APC 10X4.7SFP Propellers
    2 - Top and bottom Delrin motor mounts
    2 - Landing Gears
    4 - 5/8" Nylon standoffs
    8 - 3/8" 4-40 Screws
    2 - Brushless Motor Accessory Packs

Price: $44.99

If you have feedback for this crash pack please let me know!
  • kmc123kmc123 Posts: 33
    edited 2012-01-13 09:19
    Hey Kevin - I just purchased 6 of each type of propeller from Tower Hobbies and the accessory packs from Hobby King.

Can you guys offer a package with ONLY your parts in it in case we bought the others from a 3rd party?

I would want:
    2 - Top and bottom Delrin motor mounts
    2 - Landing Gears
    4 - 5/8" Nylon standoffs
    8 - 3/8" 4-40 Screws

Or better yet, offer motor mounts with screws and Landing Gear with screws, etc as individual items to buy?
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2012-01-13 09:38
    I agree with kmc123 on offering the parts you make in smaller packs. Like landing gear, delrin parts, etc, with the screws/nuts/nylon bits that go with them.
    Also, a Prop set pack.

I think the most common things to need replacing are going to be props and landing gears, and I foresee myself having a huge pile of all the other stuff in the crash pack just because I need more props and landing gear bits.
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2012-01-13 10:38
    Also agree with kmc !

I need only parts made by Parallax:.

Beginning with the more important

1 : Top and bottom motor mounts

2: 5/8 Nylon standoffs

3: 3/8'' 4-40 screws

4: landing gears ( as I live far from California I learned to make landing gears in aluminium after i broke 2 Delrin ones)
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2012-01-13 10:56
    I'm ok with the single parts/crash pack as originally described.

Anything that comes from HobbyKing takes a long time to get to me. And, I had to go to the post office to sign for it (Suggestion: Maybe Parallax could stock some of the ESC programmer cards too :) )

If you start breaking it down into smaller chunks, it just means more work for Parallax. The Elev8 is not a major product line for them (yet?).

Personally, I'm ok with getting all of the parts in it - but I don't need screws/bolts and standoffs. I've got plenty and I know where to get more (Microfasteners, Mcmaster Carr, Digikey, Mouser, etc.). I'm not going to ask Parallax to have a version that leaves these out.

Maybe two versions would be ok. The one originally described and one with only Parallax-manufactured parts.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-01-13 14:08
    I agree with everyone's comments and points of view. Like it has been said in previous posts, the ELEV-8 Kit is not as streamlined as we would like it to be yet. We are working toward making all parts available individually, so that if anyone needs only a few standoffs, or a Delrin piece, then you can order that piece by itself.

Also, letting the cat out of the bag a little, but we have ESC Programming cards on the way, and will be available within the next couple of weeks. I will let you all know when we receive them, and when you can anticipate them being available as the time gets closer.

For those of you who are in need of parts and the Crash Pack, it is now available for pre-order at the link below. They should be ready to ship mid next week. If there is a delay, I will let you all know.

-Nick

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/80080/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/804/Default.aspx
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-01-13 14:11
    edited 2012-01-13 14:15
    Way to go, Nick and Kevin! I need one of those crash packs this weekend!

Ken Gracey
  • TigerTiger Posts: 105
    edited 2012-01-13 21:07
    W9GFO or Whoever - Since you just cut a bunch of parts, you must know the answer to my question. I was just going to laser cut a couple things and figured I'd use the DXF files posted on Parallax. Downloaded those and as best I can tell they are pretty much worthless for cutting. I suppose I could redraw what I need from viewing those, but what a lot of work! Just wondering what files you cut from? I loaded them into Autocad and then finally tried Corel, but don't see how I can use what I'm getting. They make nice prints, but I want to cut!

Thanks ...Tiger
    edited 2012-01-13 21:19
    I can easily provide you with the file in Corel Format or I can export to dxf. Let me know which you need.
    edited 2012-01-13 21:22
    W9GFO - Any chance I can give you a quick call and talk about this?
    edited 2012-01-13 21:28
    PM sent.

More characters
    edited 2012-01-13 21:57
    Here are the files in Corel V12 format.

ELEV-8 laser cut.zip
    edited 2012-01-13 22:55
    Rich - Thanks so much for posting those! Just downloaded them and they look great. I can get back to playing now. :-)

...Tiger
    edited 2012-01-14 02:23
    For those of you playing with lasers, I thought I'd upload a picture of a mod I made to my quad tonight. I replaced the black delrin plate over the HoverFly board with one that's clear acrylic. I started out doing this because I'm taking the quad to a club meeting tonight and I wanted people to be able to see the goodies. Now that I've done it, I like it so much I'm going to leave it there. The acrylic is more than strong enough for the short span of the cover and I really like being able to see the connectors when I'm plugging things in. It also makes the LED very visible without the use of the light pipe. Notice how nice the lettering comes out on the clear material. You wouldn't think it would. No need for a second op with paint or anything else to make it visible. I plan to add a little more text tomorrow including the Parallax logo. I just couldn't find the file tonight. All of this and the material cost is less than half that of delrin! :-)

...Tiger
    800 x 600 - 198K
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-01-14 04:00
    That looks really cool! I don't have a laser, but my CNC should be able to do that just fine.
    edited 2012-01-14 19:08
    Cats92 wrote: »
    You are not the only to crash !

Waiting for spare parts I found aluminium flat bars at the next DIY (2 m long* 2mm thick*15 mm width)

Easy to cut and bend it works nicely to make a new landing gear and fly.

Jean Paul
    Thanks to Cats92 I went down to the local hobby shop and bought 2 lengths of 1/4" aluminum tubing and fashioned my own landing gear while I wait. Kind of flimsy but I am back in the air again.
    edited 2012-01-14 20:17
    Looks nice John! No reason not to use acrylic there since it is not structural. Same goes for the other piece underneath the board. I think I will copy the idea.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-01-14 20:44
    Not structural? What do you think I use as the handle for my Elev-8? :)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2012-01-14 23:56
    Looks great tiger! I like to be able to see the pcbs.
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-01-15 12:27
    W9GFO wrote: »
    Looks nice John! No reason not to use acrylic there since it is not structural. Same goes for the other piece underneath the board. I think I will copy the idea.

While it does look nice and costs a lot less to use acrylic it won't protect the board on a direct hit. We went with Delrin for this part based on my own experience with a crash that hit the board directly (most expensive part in the kit). Also, if you ever start using altimeters you want to keep direct sunlight off those types of sensors. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the look of the part you made but functionality is an important factor.
    edited 2012-01-15 15:54
    Hi Kevin - I agree that the acrylic is not nearly as tough as delrin, but I really don't think it's an issue here. We're only talking about a span of about two inches. The acrylic is 1/8" thick (thicker than your delrin) and supported by screws in all four corners. Even if you took a pavement crash dead on, the screws alone would probably be adequate protection for the board. You might crack the acrylic where you wouldn't the delrin, but I'm not worried about a few cents worth of acrylic in a really freak crash. I'm guessing that in your board crash you probably didn't have any protection at all. Putting nothing on top would be a disaster for sure. I suppose if a guy was really worried, but wanted the clear properties of the acrylic, he could use Lexan. A piece of that a third the thickness of your delrin would probably offer more protection than you have now. Whatever... We'll be finding our real soon. My quad will we done in a few days and I plan to crash a lot! :-)

Edit: As for the altimeter, I don't know what one they are using so I don't know if the issue is light or temperature sensitivity. If it's light, a dab of black paint fixes it better than a cover that's only on top. If it's temp, that's pretty easy to deal with to.

All input welcome here. Thanks!

...Tiger
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-01-15 16:43
    not sure if i have expressed to the group how much i love my cnc machine :)
    here are some parts that i made today.
    2012-01-15_13-17-56_218 (Small).jpg
    2012-01-15_17-16-39_525 (Small).jpg
    2012-01-15_17-17-09_380 (Small).jpg

i am making my platform from 1/8 light ply (actually 3mm) everything fit together nice and tight and required no glue to stay together. I glued them anyway. :)
    edited 2012-01-15 17:02
    not sure if i have expressed to the group how much i love my cnc machine :)
    here are some parts that i made today. i am making my platform from 1/8 light ply (actually 3mm) everything fit together nice and tight and required no glue to stay together. I glued them anyway. :)

Hey Brian! Been waiting for these pictures - the first wooden ELEV-8 variant! It's a lot of fun to see people like you and Tiger using the drawings to make their own editions. I think we're going to see some serious improvements come out of this effort. I talked to Tiger the other night and I really like a mod that he's got in store for running the wires through the tubes - it'll be slick, I'm sure.

Keep us posted on your progress and check in more often with photos.

Ken Gracey