Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
X-10 Firecracker Object - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

X-10 Firecracker Object

2»

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-01-07 13:10
    Yeah, I'm using 5v.

I've reversed the DSUB connections just to see if it makes any difference. No dice.
      dtr   = 0       'DB9 pin 4 on Firecracker
      rts   = 1       'DB9 pin 7 on Firecracker

OBC

Did you try my program? The attached version has the demo mode procedure.

Maybe you are getting noise from your power supply. I used to have problems with my computer's UPS interferring with X10 signals for any units on the same circuit

Firecracker.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 82K
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-01-07 13:57
    Rebuilt the circuit again with another batch of parts... Still no joy..

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/7557533/1/firecracker?h=56c054#gallery:1

I've tested the firecracker on the PC, slow but works. Also running your code..

I'm starting to have some real doubts about these chips.

Edit: removed the cap from the 2nd circuit. things starting to happen..

OBC
    edited 2012-01-07 14:29
    Uncrossed eyes.. pulled everything and rewired the original GG circuit.. Success!

Starting to think I was also being foiled by a broken wire..

Now it gets interesting...

OBC
    edited 2012-01-07 14:49
    Uncrossed eyes.. pulled everything and rewired the original GG circuit.. Success!

Starting to think I was also being foiled by a broken wire..

Now it gets interesting...

OBC

GREAT! Glad you got it working. I tried Jon's code and it worked as well.

I think I will get another Firecracker or two. I bought 6 TC4427A chips.

Jon
    Thanks for making us aware of the TC4427 chip - I'm sure it will come in handy on other projects!
  • MikeSMikeS Posts: 131
    edited 2012-01-07 17:51
    Well I guess I'll have to order a few TC4427 chips.. Where are you guys getting them from, Digikey?

thanks
    MikeS
    edited 2012-01-07 17:58
    MikeS wrote: »
    Well I guess I'll have to order a few TC4427 chips.. Where are you guys getting them from, Digikey?

thanks
    MikeS

Yep.
    Link-> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=TC4427ACPA-ND
    edited 2012-01-07 18:31
    I'm using the Digikey chips are linked..

The fun has started...

firecracker_web_control.JPG
    1022 x 732 - 59K
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-01-07 18:42
    Way to go Jeff!!!!

Are you serving up those pages from a Spinneret by chance? :smile:
    edited 2012-01-07 18:44
    The page is being served by the E-Net module running a modified copy of Harrison's code.

Too bad I can't get status data back from the firecracker...

OBC
    edited 2012-01-07 18:55
    The page is being served by the E-Net module running a modified copy of Harrison's code.

Too bad I can't get status data back from the firecracker...

OBC

You could switch over to a TW523 two-way interface - there is an OBEX object - http://obex.parallax.com/objects/465/

I've got a TW523 but I've only used it with a Basic Stamp (one-way) and Arduino (two-way)
    edited 2012-01-10 20:00
    I felt like this was simply too great a project to watch it get buried in the forums..

I've taken the x10 one step further by creating a modification of Harrison's webserver to control Jon's object and created an Instructable.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Control-the-real-world-from-your-project/

I've also tried to give full credit where credit is due. This is an amazing project built on the back of some fantastic forum members.

OBC
    edited 2012-01-10 20:36
    I felt like this was simply too great a project to watch it get buried in the forums..

I've taken the x10 one step further by creating a modification of Harrison's webserver to control Jon's object and created an Instructable.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EY1ZHQAGX9J2DM9/

I've also tried to give full credit where credit is due. This is an amazing project built on the back of some fantastic forum members.

OBC

Jeff - Great job documenting the project!

Might spark more interest in the Propeller too.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2012-01-11 08:09
    Very cool, Jeff. I still haven't had time to play with my Firecracker -- been busy helping (paying!) clients with Propeller code and finishing my March article (on CAN networking with the Propeller).
    edited 2012-01-11 08:17
    @Jon, Your object integrated extremely well with Harrison's code. Perhaps an upload to OBEX is in order when you get the chance.

Thanks for the great project!

OBC
    edited 2012-01-11 21:25
    I created an object based in the code from my demo program and using some of Jon's code.

It's 77 longs and includes the "All Lights On" and "All Units Off" commands.

I also wrote a demo program to test it out.
    edited 2012-01-12 21:10
    I've been working on a web page to potentially use with the Firecracker. It might work with a BS2 and the PINK or the Propeller and Spinneret (or other).

NOTE: It only works correctly with Internet Explorer - try to make it work with Firefox later... Works now!

You can view a sample of it here http://ronczap.home.insightbb.com/remote.htm

If you click the "1-8 / 9-16" switch under the buttons, the button clicks reflect the selected range.

Clicking the House code causes it to increment to the next letter e.g. "C" to "D".
    If you hold down the "ALT" button when you click it, it decrements to the previous letter e.g. "D" to "C"

(The "led" lights for a short time when a button is clicked.)
    You can also click this image to view the web page..

attachment.php?attachmentid=88532

HR12A remote.jpg
    306 x 465 - 21K
    edited 2012-01-12 21:12
    That's really slick! Is it live? What platform are you running this on?

OBC
    edited 2012-01-12 21:23
    That's really slick! Is it live? What platform are you running this on?

OBC

It isn't communicating with any device right now. It is just HTML and javascript and GIF files.

The "buttons" are MAP and AREA elements that respond to mouse clicks, etc.

It would be fairly simple to load this into a web server like the PINK and add some code to set variables which a BS2 could act on.
    edited 2012-01-13 13:19
    I got the web page working with FireFox now.

Also, I added the Unit numbers to the left of the buttons.

LINK - HR12A remote
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,803
    edited 2012-03-18 13:30
    Just took a look at this thread... Thinking about a TV interface for my X10 stuff...

Ron, thanks for posting those photos. I think the FCC circuit is correct, at least it looks like it might be...
    If so, I think it might be possible to connect to the Propeller without the level shifting IC.

It looks like there are two ways to go:
    1. Disconnect it's 5 V supply circuit and supply 5V directly to the PIC. The 100k resistors in the signal lines probably need to be dropped to something lower, maybe 10k. Only question is if the PIC will accept 3.3V as a logic 1. I think it would, but not sure. May need transistors to level shift...
    2. Remove the Pic and drive the RF circuit directly. It's just a resistor to the base of a transistor... I found a page on the web "NedLog" where he reverse engineered the protocol and gives sample code to do it...
    edited 2012-03-18 14:04
    @Rayman
    When I opened up the Firecracker, it was obvious that the FCC schematic did not match.

I created this thread where I use a BS2, PINK, and web pages to drive the Firecracker

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?137258-X-10-Automation-via-the-WEB&p=1065912#post1065912
    edited 2012-03-18 14:14
    Ron, your photos seem to show all the components... I see the diodes and the 100k resistors, the PIC chip, a transistor, the inductors...
    I guess I don't see right away why it's not the same...
    edited 2012-03-18 14:55
    Those pictures are not from my Firecracker, I found those on the internet before I purchased mine - Sorry for the confusion!

- Ron
    edited 2012-03-18 15:03
    Here are pics from my Firecracker...

Maybe it is the same circuit, just in a different PCB format.

FC bot.jpg
    FC top.jpg
    640 x 480 - 55K
    640 x 480 - 48K
    edited 2012-03-18 15:14
    Thanks for posting your pics. I think your is also the same circuit as listed in FCC...
    I like this layout a lot better though, all on one board...

If it's like I think it is, I'm going to try my option#2 above... That way, I just plug it into a servo header on any Propeller board and make it work (needs just one pin).
    Just bought a 3-pack off of Ebay to give this a try... That way, if I ruin 2, I can still do what you guys are doing...

BTW: If this is a revised version, it looks like they added more non-SMD parts, a little strange...
    edited 2016-08-10 19:12
    I know this is an old thread, but I still use several X10 modules and was trying to figure out a way to control them using my Android phone or tablet.

First, I removed the D-sub connectors from the Firecracker PCB using a Dremel cutoff wheel and desoldered the left over pin pieces.

Then I wired up a board with a TC4427 IC (per Jon's schematic) and connected it to the Firecracker PCB.

Firecracker%20PCB.jpg

Then I connected a Sparkfun WiFly RN-XV module to a propeller board and added my new board.

Now I can use various TCP-IP utilities (like TCP Client on PlayStore) to connect to the WiFly module using port forwarding on my home WiFi router to send commands to a X10 TM751 transceiver to control X10 modules.

WiFly%20X10%20Firecracker.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
    800 x 600 - 79K
  • That's cool Ron. I have a Firecracker hanging around somewhere.