Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Starter Kit Questions — Parallax Forums

Propeller Starter Kit Questions

smilesmile Posts: 4
edited 2012-02-04 22:28 in General Discussion
Hello community!!!
I have a Propeller starter kit,what can I do with this?(
I have already seen project section of this forum,thanks! When I saw every projects,I said WOW,it is really cool!=)
Robots,clocks,and many many exciting think!
Is it a work or hobby?)

I have practiced with programming spin,but i didn't know anything about resistors,transistors,plates and ect.
What book would you recommend to read?

Can I create panel with LED lamps,controlled by this demo board?
Is it possible to control every LED?

Does parallax the structure of the addresses?
(Example:Can I control every DS-temperature sensor,on one wire?)

Is there any from Russia on this forum?

Thanks in advance for answers to questions!

Sincerely, smiley.

P.S I'm sorry for bad English!

Comments

• bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2011-10-23 15:24
    Можете ли вы понять Google переводить с английского на русский?

Google.com переводить ...
    http://translate.google.com/?hl=ru&tab=wT#

(Can you understand google translate from English into Russian?)

Google.com translate...
    http://translate.google.com
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-10-23 15:32
    Hello. There are all kinds of things you can do with the Propeller starter kit. Look through the Propeller forum and the Projects forum for ideas. People have made radio receivers, speech synthesizers and simple speech recognizers, logic analyzers, robots ... too many things to list or remember. Look through the Propeller Object Exchange as well.

Yes, you can make LED panels that can be controlled by this demo board. Usually these use something like a 74HC595 serial to parallel shift register to save on I/O pins. There is someone now with a thread on the Propeller forum on a project to make a 100 LED panel (10 x 10). There are other devices that you can use with a Demo Board to drive large numbers of LEDs. Look at Maxim / Dallas's website for some typical LED drivers.

There is a 1-Wire I/O driver in the Object Exchange. Like all 1-Wire drivers, it uses the normal 64-bit 1-Wire device address, so you can have multiple devices on a single 1-Wire bus. If you plan to put more than a few devices on a single bus or you plan to have them at some physical distance from the Demo Board, you'll have to have a special interface circuit to provide a reliable signal to the devices. NXP's website has a lot of application notes on large networks of 1-Wire devices.
  • smilesmile Posts: 4
    edited 2011-10-23 15:55
    bill190, I did not know about this service! Thanks!

Mike Green,Thank you very much!
    If you are not hard not to if you could answer one more question, I would be very grateful!
    What components I need to create 20x20 LED panel?
    How many 74HC595?
    What type of LEDs can i use?
    What other electronic components useful to me?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-10-23 16:34
    For a 20 x 20 LED panel, you could use 50 74HC595s or you could multiplex the LEDs (select one at a time from a 20 x 20 matrix). You'd need 3 - 74HC238 decoders and 3 - 74HC138 decoders. You'd need series resistors for the LEDs to limit the maximum current. The exact value depends on what type of LEDs you want to use and what current you want to use to operate them. Red LEDs require the least voltage (typically 1.7V). Green and yellow require more (typically 2.1V). Blue requires more (typically 3.4V) and white needs a bit more. Do some research. Use the Wikipedia. Look up multiplexing. Look up LEDs. Get the datasheets for the decoders and LEDs you might use. Look on Maxim / Dallas's website for their LED drivers and see how they're used (and how much they cost).

If you multiplex the LEDs, they'll be pretty dim because each LED will be on only 1/400th of the time. With the decoders I mentioned, you could provide maybe 20-25mA of current. Typically with this sort of circuit, you'd also use 20 NPN (2N3904) and 20 PNP (2N3906) switching transistors (plus some resistors) to increase the amount of current to the LEDs. The average current to each LED would have to stay under 20mA, but also the peak (brief) current would have to stay under what the LEDs can handle. The LED datasheet would give you some idea there.

Multiplexing is complicated, but very doable once you learn about it.
    edited 2011-10-24 10:35
    Mike Green, Thanks for your help!
    It's probably difficult and expensive project for me to start.=(
    I am thinking on the new one...

Thank you again!
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2011-10-24 11:25
    smile wrote: »
    Hello community!!!
    I have a Propeller starter kit,what can I do with this?(
    I have already seen project section of this forum,thanks! When I saw every projects,I said WOW,it is really cool!=)
    Robots,clocks,and many many exciting think!
    Is it a work or hobby?)

I have practiced with programming spin,but i didn't know anything about resistors,transistors,plates and ect.
    What book would you recommend to read?

Can I create panel with LED lamps,controlled by this demo board?
    Is it possible to control every LED?

Does parallax the structure of the addresses?
    (Example:Can I control every DS-temperature sensor,on one wire?)

Is there any from Russia on this forum?

Thanks in advance for answers to questions!

Sincerely, smiley.

P.S I'm sorry for bad English!

Smiley,

Here are a couple of links. The first one is pretty good.
    www.allaboutcircuits.com
    check also
    Maker.com and discovercircuits.com other hobby sites.

Language may not be so much of an issue to learning since most concepts are diagrams and mathematics. These do not change across languages all that much. (I can say that from experience. Former Siemens instructor, courses in Erlangen, DE were 15-25 students from all over the world, minimal english at best. I taught mostly from diagrams and lab troubleshooting and align/adjustments)

Good luck and ask whenever, someone is always home here,

Frank
    edited 2011-10-27 07:27
    frank freedman, thank you for links!
    Maker.com didn't work.
    Thanks!
    In starter kit package, I have some leds and resistors/transistors.
    I want to connect one red LED to the demo board.
    What is electric current in P0-P7? What is VSS and VDD?
    What is VDD jumper?
  • ralieamralieam Posts: 4
    edited 2012-02-04 22:04
    Hello smile, it’s good to see you as part of this community, hope you will learn lots of new thing from this forum. Few people will take it as their hobby and other will take it as their profession, ultimately each and every person who opt this work has to struggle a lot mentally and also physically. Definitely you can create panel with LED lamps, for this work you can clarify your doubt in this forum at the same time you can take assistance from the members in this community.

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-02-04 22:28
    Welcome to the forums, smiley. Great to have a new friend in Russia. And no need to apologize for the English - you should hear our Russian.

In case you are interested I found this video in Russian:

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey