Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Support OS X 10.7 Lion — Parallax Forums

Support OS X 10.7 Lion

odayoday Posts: 7
edited 2013-05-25 01:18 in General Discussion
Hi,

Please support whatever needs to be done to permit Basic Stamp programming using Mac OS X Lion.

Best,

Daniel

Comments

• Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2011-09-20 08:38
    Hello Daniel,
    Apple dropped support (in Lion) for they way that we compiled and delivered the Stamp Tokenizer library. We know about this and have plans to correct it, but for now the way to get around it is to it through Bootcamp to get it to work. I hope that this helps.

-Nick
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-09-20 17:27
    I've been using VM ware Fusion to run WinXP. It works quite well. In fact, since Lion only supports Win7 in Bootcamp, I have found that VMware fusion runs XP in a virtual environment better than the virtual machine that is part of Win7 Professional.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-09-20 18:28
    I think it would be a good idea to recompile the Stamp tokenizer as a "Universal Binary" so it will run natively on both PowerPC Macs (old, but still usable) and Intel Macs, therefore run under Lion. It would encourage use of the BS2px to include that in the tokenizer as well.

As others have mentioned, using Windows XP under VMware or Parallels Desktop works great. It also helps with other Windows-only programs like the PC part of ViewPort and the PropScope. I can also run the Prop Tool even though BST works fine on the Mac.
  • PodionPodion Posts: 90
    edited 2011-11-23 17:54
    Mike Green wrote: »
    I think it would be a good idea to recompile the Stamp tokenizer as a "Universal Binary" so it will run natively on both PowerPC Macs (old, but still usable) and Intel Macs, therefore run under Lion. It would encourage use of the BS2px to include that in the tokenizer as well.

As others have mentioned, using Windows XP under VMware or Parallels Desktop works great. It also helps with other Windows-only programs like the PC part of ViewPort and the PropScope. I can also run the Prop Tool even though BST works fine on the Mac.

Yes it would be a very good idea you recompile the stamp tokenuzer ! can you tell us why this is so long to do ? and who is suppose to do this ?

Thank you.
  • bjwiederholtbjwiederholt Posts: 2
    edited 2011-12-25 18:05
    Upvote for Lion Support. Santa brought 2 sumobots this morning, we built, and are now dead in the water then minute we turned the page to start programming. Kids were ticked off at Santa.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2011-12-28 09:20
    Hi,

As requested, we are now updating the PBASIC Tokenizer and will recompile it so that it will work under Lion. We plan to release the new tokenizer by mid-January 2012 and Murat (maker of the MacBS2 software) has indicated he will include it in his next release of the software.

Thank you for the suggestions and for your patience.
  • mtloganmtlogan Posts: 3
    edited 2012-01-01 09:01
    This is GREAT news! It will be good to be programming again. Thanks to all of you at Parallax and to Murat.

Mike Logan
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2012-01-01 09:35
    YES! Happy New Year to that!
  • deansdeans Posts: 9
    edited 2012-01-01 12:58
    YES! Thank you all
  • Mr. LewisMr. Lewis Posts: 24
    edited 2012-01-19 19:24
    I was just going to add support to this topic, but am now very happy that this is being worked on. I have been teaching BOE-Bots in a high school class for about 7-8 years and one of my students brought in a brand new Macbook this year and couldn't use it. The BS2 binary is the main reason I have not upgraded my own machine to Lion as I use it too much, so this is great news!
    edited 2012-02-02 08:55
    Hi,

UPDATE: We are working on the solution for this and expect it to be available to the public before the end of February 2012.
  • dehlendehlen Posts: 13
    edited 2012-03-03 04:46
    How is the current state ? Do you had success recompiling it ? I would really like to use it on my Mac.
  • Particle_OneParticle_One Posts: 1
    edited 2012-03-12 12:34
    Yes, I need this as well. Would it be possible to release a beta at least and have the community identify the remaining issues? Or are we talking like Alpha/Pre-Alpha stage as of yet?
    edited 2012-03-16 07:26
    Hi Folks,

I am now targeting April 6th as the date to have this finished and released. I know you're all as eager for this to move forward as I am to get it done.

Thank you!
  • rknechtrknecht Posts: 1
    edited 2012-04-06 12:13
    Hi,

We just received our ordered BOE BOT Robot today, but can't program it since we've only iMAC and Macbook computers in the company.
    Any update on the MAC version of the software?

Best regards,
    Remy Knecht
    3D CONSULT
    edited 2012-04-09 09:47
    UPDATE:

As of last week, I have put everything else on temporary hold in order to focus on this PBASIC Tokenizer library update, because it just isn't getting done in-between other projects. So I'll be working on this update this week and will update this thread with new details as soon as I have them to share. Thank you for your continued patience.
  • jvrproductionsjvrproductions Posts: 61
    edited 2012-04-09 19:24
    just for general information. mac alredy take 20% of the pc market and still counting. this new update will work with basic stamp only or will apply to propeller too?
    thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-04-12 16:18
    This update is for the Basic Stamp Tokenizer which is the PBasic compiler and downloader for the Stamps. You can already compile and download Propeller programs using BST on the Mac. It runs just fine under Lion and has since Lion was originally released. It has a built-in serial terminal that shares the serial port with the compiler.

The download description for BST on Parallax's website doesn't mention Lion, but that's just the lack of an update to the description once Lion was released. It works fine.
  • jvrproductionsjvrproductions Posts: 61
    edited 2012-04-13 05:50
    thanks mike i will try....
    edited 2012-04-23 11:41
    Update 2:

Hi Parallax Fans! I have good news and bad news...

Good News: I've addressed a number of issues (hundreds actually) in the PBASIC Tokenizer source so that it now compiles via XCode 4 on OSx Lion without any errors or warnings.

Bad News: I can't get it to link to my tester code. In fact, I can't get XCode to generate anything other than a ".a" file which I'm not sure is the right thing (we wish to release this as a static or dynamic library to be included in any software that wishes to compile for BASIC Stamp 2 and later... like we've done in the past). I think I may be on the right path now, but to make sure, I would sure appreciate it if a well-versed XCode developer would kindly donate a little of his/her time to speak with me over the phone. I've searched many resources internally and on the net, but am not able to find clear answers, which makes me think I'm asking the wrong questions.

Regardless, I'm still pursuing this effort and wanted you to know.
    edited 2012-05-03 15:17
    Update 3:

Well, no one responded, but now I've solved the generation and linking problem I had (I think). But there are many failures while running the test suite on PBASIC code. The type of errors I see are probably related to a set of common issues and I'm going to have to carefully weed them out. There's still a chance it's something I'm overlooking, but proof of that will likely show up as I try to solve each problem. I'll report back the next milestone I reach.

Thanks.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-05-03 15:58

Regardless, I'm still pursuing this effort and wanted you to know.

Thanks for working on this and sharing your progress. I am sure that many (hundreds, thousands?) of Mac users are eager to program the Basic Stamps in OS X.
  • FRC2370FRC2370 Posts: 128
    edited 2012-05-08 16:28
    Yes I am waiting eagerly for the OS X Lion BASIC programming environment to be ready for use
    edited 2012-05-17 16:41
    It appears that Parallax isn't going to support the Basic Stamp. So I have moved on to the Arduino Uno. If anyone is as frustrated about the support for the Basic Stamp as I am, I highly recommend the Ardunio. It has been a smooth transition for me. It is great to be programming again!
    edited 2012-05-17 17:14
    By not supporting the Stamp anymore you mean???
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2012-05-17 22:30
    Drive by troll....ignore it
  • odayoday Posts: 7
    edited 2012-05-21 21:20
    Still have my fingers crossed, and checking periodically. Anything?
    edited 2012-05-23 17:30
    tobdec wrote: »
    Drive by troll....ignore it

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was just stating my situation of not being able to program in pBasic using OSX Lion. I have been a customer of Parallax for many years and have used their products while coaching Science Olympiad. I have not been able to use the Basic Stamp since January after upgrading to Lion. At some point I decided that I must move on...
    edited 2012-05-23 17:33
    checking in everyday. Any word on the Lion version yet?
  • GuruSantiagoGuruSantiago Posts: 3
    edited 2012-06-02 11:18
    I have a new Macbook Pro with Lion. When I run BST, it launches off screen and I can not interact with it. any ideas?