Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Introducing The Parallax Spider. — Parallax Forums

Introducing The Parallax Spider.

walice_drelwalice_drel Posts: 81
edited 2011-07-18 11:07 in Robotics
This is a boe-bot I made for my daughter. It Is a standard boe-bot with the crawler kit and the ping))) kit. I also added a red wide spectrum laser light. Basically what is dose is wander around and shine its red beam in the darkest areas of the room. My daughter is 6 years old and is going threw the scared of the dark phase. So I made this bot to look like a cute bug and shine light in the dark areas of her room while it wanders, and make my daughter feel like she is not in the room alone. Needles to say she loves it...lol

spider001.jpg

spider002.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
http://www.myspace.com/droidworks

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-08-30 11:50
    Walice,

Looks great. How does the ping))) work with the crawler legs? Are you having it ping when stopped or does it work o.k. while moving? My kids loved it too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 8/30/2007 12:01:33 PM GMT
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-08-30 17:20
    Wow, a 'bot on patrol that lazer-zaps the monsters under the bed - brilliant! I would have loved one of those when I was a kid, and when my son was little.

-Stephanie Lindsay
    Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • walice_drelwalice_drel Posts: 81
    edited 2007-08-30 17:48
    I tried the ping both ways with and without the stopping to scan. It works fine both ways, but it looks more like a bug if it stops and scans. I had to add 1 more AA rechargeable because of the weight of it all, but now it moves right along.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-08-30 21:55
    walice_drel said...
    I tried the ping both ways with and without the stopping to scan. It works fine both ways, but it looks more like a bug if it stops and scans. I had to add 1 more AA rechargeable because of the weight of it all, but now it moves right along.

Great. Very cool project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
    edited 2007-08-31 03:30
    Nice project. But be careful- laser light can be hazardous to the eyes, your daughters!
  • walice_drelwalice_drel Posts: 81
    edited 2007-08-31 03:42
    I put a filter on it and a wide spectrum lens, So it filtered and spread out. So now instead of a harmful Pen laser beam it is now more like a flashlight but in a wide beam form. So instead of getting a beam the size of a marker tip, its a beam the size of a silver dollar.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2007-08-31 08:18
    Walice: Nice project, I bet that light looks scary in the dark

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong.
  • bjhamltnbjhamltn Posts: 21
    edited 2007-08-31 15:45
    You could probably patent that.
    Other children may like to have one of those.
  • edited 2011-07-14 23:55
    He looks like Johnny Five except with legs not treads. I love him. Nice work
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-07-15 04:31
    Nice transformation of a standard Boe-Bot!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2011-07-18 11:07
    THAT is a great project and the funnest thing I've seen on here in a LONG time. Way to go walice_drel!