Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to send wireless signal from remote wildlife camera 2 miles away — Parallax Forums

How to send wireless signal from remote wildlife camera 2 miles away

darrenervinedarrenervine Posts: 7
edited 2011-06-19 10:09 in Accessories
Need help folks,
I built a motion activated wildlife camera in an enclosure. It uses a PIR to activate the shutter on a Canon Powershot,....it is all in an enclosure that is about 1-2 miles in a ravine.

I would like to find away to send a signal from the camera to me every time the shutter is activated via the relay on the PIR. It doesn't matter what kind of signal but I have a blackberry so a text, email etc is perfect.
I don't want to incur costs such as cell phone sim card etc. I have 2 old Nokia 6585's and a Blackberry 7250 I could use but neither are on a cell network.

What other options are there?
I am handy but not an electronic engineer....would be great if something could receive indication from relay, transmit signal, then on the other end receive signal and convert to message...
I have extra laptops to receive a signal via USB port too..

I have included my current wiring diagram.

Thanks for any help
Darren

Comments

• darrenervinedarrenervine Posts: 7
    edited 2011-04-14 06:29
    I didn't mention, although most would have assumed that the unit is entirely battery powered via multiple 3v battery packs (2 x 1.5v AA) in parallel. It also has 2x9v batteries in parallel to power the PIR. I do have room to add other power sources in the enclosure.

Any ideas/suggestions out there to get me started?

Thanks
  • micro_engineermicro_engineer Posts: 7
    edited 2011-04-17 18:55
    I believe there is a means to do this without "breaking the bank" or any extensive amount of work.

I remembered Silicon Chip providing a project (and modifications, and extensions) that are similar to what you want to do.

Start with this link: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102670/article.html

I think you will find their articles to be well written and the projects are always within reach of the hobbyist in terms of the complexity and cost.

The project above uses SMS text messaging to allow you to receive alarm notices and control a remotely located device.
    edited 2011-04-18 11:16
    Thanks for the link..
    Over the weekend I hacked a Nokia 6585. Basically removed the "Select" button and soldered two leads to the contacts....ran that to the same relay as the camera shutter.
    After creating 1 text message and leaving it in the resend mode,...it will resend everytime the relay closes.....works, but now I need a separate activation for this phone...

I was hoping to do it via long range wireless as it is free......any ideas on that?

Thanks
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-04-18 11:40
    Where did you find a PIR with a USB output?

-Phil
    edited 2011-04-18 13:32
    The PIR used has relay that has a N/O or N/C circuit. Using the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) I cut a USB cable and closed the circuit that way
    I have uploaded an updated schematic
    remote-wiring-diagram.pdf

http://www.a1parts.com/alarmcontacts/index.htm scroll down about 5 items it is the GW-2712 for CAD$18.00 (in Toronto). You can google it and you should be able to find it in the US.

I have made several motion detector "triggers" with these for numerous cameras and other things.....they work great...
    HTH
    Darren
  • HalcyonDazeHalcyonDaze Posts: 17
    edited 2011-05-02 12:14
    Its the "In a Ravine" part of this application that gave me pause, personally. Have you tested the Cell reception at the camera location?

If you opt for a wireless option, be prepared to need a repeater strategically placed at the top of the ravine.

How long do you need this system to operate without intervention or a battery charge (or is it solar powered?) A cell phone isn't going to last terribly long, especially if it is on the edge of reception.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-05-04 17:20
    Have you looked at "Walky talky's".
    '
    A 5watt "Walky Talky" should get a strong enough signal out of the ravine to your house.A lower power "Walky Talky" could be used at the house to reduce costs.Since this would always be in receive mode.
    '
    I would use a Stamp or Prop to read the PIR signal then turn on a relay to power-up the Transmitting "Walky Talky" and then PULSOUT a tone to the Mic input of the "Walky Talky".Next PULSIN in signal on the receiver end "Walk Talky" to a Stamp or Prop.
    '
    I would also make sure the receiver "Walky Talky" had a squelch adjustment for noise control
  • MrUmunhumMrUmunhum Posts: 2
    edited 2011-05-09 11:46
    Need help folks,
    I built a motion activated wildlife camera in an enclosure. It uses a PIR to activate the shutter on a Canon Powershot,....it is all in an enclosure that is about 1-2 miles in a ravine.

I would like to find away to send a signal from the camera to me every time the shutter is activated via the relay on the PIR. It doesn't matter what kind of signal but I have a blackberry so a text, email etc is perfect.
    I don't want to incur costs such as cell phone sim card etc. I have 2 old Nokia 6585's and a Blackberry 7250 I could use but neither are on a cell network.

What other options are there?
    I am handy but not an electronic engineer....would be great if something could receive indication from relay, transmit signal, then on the other end receive signal and convert to message...
    I have extra laptops to receive a signal via USB port too..

I have included my current wiring diagram.

Thanks for any help
    Darren
    OK, what is your budget? How much power can you provide at each end?

So, I would look at using one of these at the ravin: along with a directional antenna. Then a WiFi antenna at your house. 2 miles is a long shot. I have a 1 1/2 mile link up at my place. The antenna is everything.

If you need help, please Email me.

ps. I am working on a project that will use GMRS radios to send DMTF tones for signaling events. Not ready just yet, still in design.
  • jim N8RHQjim N8RHQ Posts: 85
    edited 2011-06-19 10:09
    As has been already noted, it is very difficult to say what you are going to need for your rf link without knowing the exact terrain.

Have you been to the site with your cell phone? Can you reliably send a text from there?

If you consider "Walky Talkys", bear in mind, from http://www.livecbradio.com/frs.htm
    "When you purchase an FRS/GMRS Radio notice they say "5 mile range" "10 mile range" and "26 Miles Range!" for example. This is an unclear identifier to the power output of the unit. ALL frs only radios are limited to half a watt by law. The thing is most of these radios have both GMRS and FRS in them. Channels 1-7 of FRS and GMRS are both shared by each other. If you get a full 5 Watt GMRS/FRS radio, it is going to have a full 5 watts of power on the first 7 channels. This is your power advantage. Channels 8-14 are FRS only and have half of a watt output only on all FRS/GMRS radios by default. Channels 15-22 are GMRS only and require licensed operation. The radios that claim to be in the 20+ mile range are usually the 5 watt models. The 15 mile models are usually 2 watts. The 5-10 mile models .5-1 watt. Five is the legal limit for FRS/GMRS radios"

If you want an instant solution, try http://www.pixcontroller.com/Raptor/PixControllerRaptor-Cellular2G.htm

Have you considered an amateur radio license? Two meter packet would make this a snap. You could even send yourself the picture. Once upon a time I had my HP48 connected to a battery powered TNC to a battery powered 2 meter radio. The last two being clipped to my belt. Probably one of my geekier phases, but it was a lot of fun.