Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's Gas Powered Robot - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Parallax's Gas Powered Robot

2»

Comments

• skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2007-09-06 21:08
    Nice, anything in the pipeline about adaptors to fix to it so it could carry stuff? and if so what would be the cargo loading it could handle also what is the towing power like?
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2007-10-08 05:06
    Hi Ken,

Would it be possible to show the Propeller spin objects that you used to provide control of the robots skid steering through the radio link?

I am presently using the Parallax 912MHz transreceivers, a joystick console, a BS2p Stamp, and a couple of HB25s to provide skid steering for a 4WD rover, but would like to use the Propeller and could use the spin objects as examples to learn from.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-10-08 05:08
    Skylight, sorry for the delayed reply. We're planning a robotic arm for the robot. Cargo load is high, perhaps 50 lbs. Towing power should be even bigger.

Tom, yes, we will post those objects here in the next day or two. I'll see that it is done by Tuesday.

Ken Gracey
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-10-08 09:17
    I know this hydrallic robot is an outdoor item. But in today's newspaper I was looking at a Japanese device to power assist a woman that is lifting and caring elderly feeble.

In occured to me that if we are going to have in-home robots, we may have to redesign the living space.
    One must provide ramps, wider doorways, and maybe even separate corridors for the robot. And yet, why bother sharing traffic space? One idea that comes to mind is to have them dwell overhead on cables and drop down to serve you. Kinda a robo-spiderman. Hmmm.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-10-08 12:02
    I like that idea.· (About robo-spiderman)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    LOOKDOWN ThisThread, [noparse][[/noparse]Your_?, My_?, Cool_Thing], looknum
    LOOKUP looknum, [noparse][[/noparse]1, 2, 3], subnum
    ON subnum GOTO Hope_this_helps, Thanks!, WOW!!
    END 

• Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2007-10-10 02:54
    Hi Ken,

I was hoping that you would be able to post the Propeller spin objects today. Maybe tomorrow?

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-10-10 03:17
    Hi Tom,

I spoke with David Carrier, our technician who wrote the objects. He tells me that they're largely scrapped together and that they're going to be evolving shortly with the release of the new electronics for the gas hydraulic robot. Therefore, I agreed that we could wait until our code examples are more concrete. Sorry about that!

Ken Gracey
  • Whatever happened to this cool Bot
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2018-03-30 14:58
    From what I remember, it went out of production years ago and the remaining few were auctioned off on ebay. It cost around $5000 and didn't have a huge market, despite how cool it is. There were some cool research projects that implemented it, including a mars-rover type of thing. There's probably still some floating around if you were looking to get your hands on one.

EDIT: Here's the datasheet for it for more info
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    The second vintage thread resurrection of Holy Week. A miracle! Will there be a third?
  • Good timing for the topic.... I have a Quadrover chassis that needs a new home. It doesn't have much to it, but is a rock solid foundation for someone to build up a big bot. It would cost quite a bit to ship, so hopefully someone in Northern California "needs" it??? I am in Sacramento.
    3283 x 3006 - 2M
    Time for some PR!

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Andrew,

How much do you want for it?
  • Nothing! It was originally given to me in it's current state for a project that never came to fruition, so I will be passing it on in the same manner. I can weigh it so shipping can be estimated if needed.
    Amazing offer, Andrew! Video says 90 lbs, so you better double box it!
  • This looks insane! Is there a pulse train to run the engine, or is it just a serial communication to an external controller?
  • The Propeller powered controller controls the throttle and the the two brakes via servos. The hydraulics are controlled off the same board using MOSFETS to drive the the solenoids.
  • er-... who was pushing the car ???

Dave : :innocent:
    This chassis needs a home!
  • 90lbs is for a complete Quadrover, since this is just a chassis, it is "only" 36lbs. The chassis itself is very robust.

If anyone is interested in paying for shipping, it's theirs. It would be coming from zip 95678 or 95747 depending on how it ships.
    Definitely needs to be someone who can pick it up! Here is the estimate to Louisiana!

Estimate.JPG
    882 x 576 - 69K
    Vaguely related, I must be becoming an electric car snob after just 6 months with a Leaf. I LOVE cars, but I look at at all the infernal combustion engine (ICE) cars burning gas at stoplights and think of the valves and camshafts and lifters and piston rings and water pumps and radiators and clutches and transmissions and mufflers and smog...? They are highly refined Calliopes on wheels. I still love my '67 Corvair, it's rear air cooled engine was one of its weirdest things that made me pick it as my first car. Still have it, just a garage Queen now but if it ever takes to the road again, it may have to be electric.

Sometimes I say crazy things.
  • Whit wrote: »
    Definitely needs to be someone who can pick it up! Here is the estimate to Louisiana!

Estimate.JPG

Time to look at a trucking company to keep cost down. I had two full Quadrovers and a chassis and 30 tires, (made nice packing), ship clear across country for $600. The box was 48 x48 x48 so a box for one Quad could be made small.

• Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    Something to consider when shipping- use www.paypal.com/shipnow. You'll get as good a rate as any for USPS Priority Mail and Parcel Select. As in any shipment size/weight determines cost. Need to pack it as reasonably safe as possible in the smallest sturdy box.
  • I'm guessing these where produced by Loren technologies in Rocklin, Ca.
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    I'm guessing these where produced by Loren technologies in Rocklin, Ca.
    That is what the tag on the chassis says.

• All the engineering drawings I have are marked copyright Loren. I have tried to contact them over the years to see if I can put the drawings on my site so people can replicate broken parts. No contact and they seem to be out of business.
  • Another good shipping option is Fastenal. I've heard lots of folks in the antique gas engine community have good luck with filling dead space on loads for very reasonable rates. Stores are all over the US as well.
  • I wonder if the copyright has expired or who owns it now