Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's Gas Powered Robot — Parallax Forums

Parallax's Gas Powered Robot

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2007-10-10 03:17 in Robotics
We have worked the kinks out and will be moving to production shortly on the gas/hydraulic robot (this is a different robot from the gas/electric one Ken has been working on). Here is a picture of it's current incarnation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47068

Click on the picture to see the full size image. It's top speed will be 10 mph (presently 8 mph, but the power ratio will be tweaked some more before production), it will be outfitted with a custom Propeller based board to manage the controls and will be programmed to be RF controllable out of the palette.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Paul Baker
Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/8/2007 10:45:08 PM GMT

Comments

• Max WoodenMax Wooden Posts: 112
    edited 2007-05-08 23:55
    That is incredibly awesome!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Max Wooden
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-05-09 00:41
    Is that nice monster all whee drive? Does it have ports to supply hydraulic power to accessories?
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-05-09 00:45
    How do you control a gas motor with a propeller? Do you use the motor to generate hydrolic pressure and have the propeller control that? I'm a little confused.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    D Faust

Post Edited (D Faust) : 5/9/2007 1:34:20 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-09 01:14
    It's a skid steer drive (all wheels driven, each side independantly controllable), there are no hydraulic ports, there is a battery which powers the electronics and accessories.

It's controlled by the Parallax Propeller microcontroller. Though it could be controlled by other microcontrollers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/9/2007 1:23:04 AM GMT
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 840
    edited 2007-05-09 03:03
    Very,Very, nice job :- )

P.s. New tires ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

·"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ·· Albert Einstein

http://www.diycalculator.com/subroutines.shtml· My favorite website ( Bet you can't guess why)
    edited 2007-05-09 04:29
    Yes the nubby tires perform better on pavement when skid steering.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-05-09 05:57
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    there are no hydraulic ports

oh well, a pressure and return port with plugs in them would make adding a 3-point hitch, snow plow, lawn mower blades, etc quicker and easier. (can still re-do the piping and tap into the relevant hydraulic lines for this though.) Heck most tractors with hydraulics have ports like this, they generally include a valve for the ports too. (they can also have PTO shafts to get power directly from the engine, but a double shafted pump isn't really a standard part.)

Looking good. Now I just need the right project to justify getting one yeah.gif

Marty
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2007-05-09 13:50
    Any Idea on the cost of one of these? I need to know how much I need to start putting away. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-05-09 16:20
    True that hydraulic ports would make certain tasks easier, however there would be additional valves needed to port flow adding to the cost, plus there are some calculations that would need to be made by anyone placing a hydraulic modification on it. By forcing someone to do thier own taping we are greatly increasing the likelyhood that whoever is doing it knows what they are doing.

Our target price is around $3000.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-05-10 18:13
    Does that include Shipping? :P I imagine that it would cost at least $300 to ship something this heavy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"
    edited 2007-05-10 18:14
    I don't know, we're not at a point where we are actually setting prices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-05-10 18:24
    Paul,
    How much does it weigh ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society"

Benjamin Franklin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
    edited 2007-05-10 18:59
    No official weight yet, but it is quite heavy; somewhere in th 50-80 lbs range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-05-11 04:09
    Paul, I'm surprised there still isn't a covers for the servos on·each end of the bot?·or are they just temporary.
    Also, is that still the Honda engine or an overseas clone?. I am curious about so many things, because anything the public can screw up, they will.

Maximus Pessimist, lol

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 5/11/2007 5:47:07 AM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-05-11 04:28
    Hey Quirk,

It's a Honda 2.5HP engine.

There are no covers on the two servos you see. I suppose there could be, though. There's a handle/bumper in front of them to prevent damage, though. We'll give that some thought.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2007-05-11 05:50
    It has different shrouding and the fuel tank used to be below the carb, air filter cover is now black. Is it a different engine than before, but still a Honda?

3bond 1107B, is a great sealer to try for some of your fittings. If you can't find it directly from 3 Bond, try a Suzuki M/C shop. (Suzuki special tools catalog) It's been used as a case and side cover sealer for the big 4 Japanese brands and Paul would be impressed with it's data sheet.

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 5/11/2007 7:35:33 PM GMT
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2007-05-11 05:54
    Overall, looks good. I would consider a shock mount for the motor to the frame, all that vibration won't be good for all those fittings. Flexible hose instead of the hard tubing for the hydraulics would help the cause too.
    edited 2007-05-23 05:26
    Pual, can you us·what·it was designed to do?
    edited 2007-05-23 21:56
    Its an outdoor semi-off road vehicle. The end use is up to the customer.

Here's the video of it in action (well a previous revision): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zHkIY7oJE&mode=related&search=

The current revision has a different clutch, motor and control system, so it's faster, the clutch doesn't clink as much and it can turn while in motion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/23/2007 10:03:50 PM GMT
    edited 2007-05-24 07:13
    Thank you Paul, the video is cool!.

Bill
    edited 2007-05-24 07:19
    Quirk:

What's it designed to do?

Whatever you want it to do, within its capabilities. It could be used for outdoor robotic competitions of the future, or you could send it to the store to get a jug of milk. It's probably a number of years ahead of any useful purpose, to be honest. We'll leave the uses up to our customers.

Ken Gracey
  • Naphtali MooreNaphtali Moore Posts: 42
    edited 2007-05-24 07:29
    In the vid it only turns while stopped. How does it handle while moving? What is the base dimensions of the current revision?
    edited 2007-05-24 07:38
    Naphtali,

It can also do an arcing turn. The base dimensions are about two feet wide by three feet long.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2007-05-24 08:00
    Go to SLEEP, lol.

I thought it might be great for going upstairs and maneuvering thru hall ways for doing video surveillance for Police departments
  • science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
    edited 2007-05-25 14:45
    what kind of clutches did you use are they cetrifugal?
    edited 2007-06-08 22:58
    Sorry I missed your post. To be honest I don't know, all I know is it is an off the shelf clutch.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-06-09 00:07
    The clutch is not off-the-shelf. It's a custom-turned clutch, designed to provide a low RPM activation without any rattling noises common to off-the-shelf clutches.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-06-09 03:29
    Oh sorry Ken, I thought the previous clutch was custom but then switched it out. I guess I had the chronology reversed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-06-09 04:21
    I think I know why you thought it was off-the-shelf, and perhaps that's because I've been using such clutches on the hybrid robots. But now that I've got the experience with them, I can see why this clutch was custom. The off-the-shelf clutches engage at 3500 RPM and they're really made for full-throttle use in the engine's power band. And up to that RPM, they rattle around like a monkey stuck in a bird cage.

Ken Gracey
  • big_markbig_mark Posts: 49
    edited 2007-06-12 12:21
    When I buy one, can you fit one of these instead?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3VVI6Auvys