Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What's the difference!?!?! — Parallax Forums

What's the difference!?!?!

DeveloperZeroDeveloperZero Posts: 15
edited 2006-06-12 06:04 in Propeller 1
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the "Propeller Demo board kit" ($129.99 Available Now-Backordered) and the "Propeller Starter Kit" ($149.99 Coming July 1st)?

I understand what the Demo board kit and the PropStick kit are, but what is the Starter Kit. I have looked through every single post on here, and haven't found any mention anywhere, and there is no documentation on it. I ask because I was planning on buying a PropStick·one of the two boards,·and was wondering if I should go ahead and get the Demo board kit now, or wait till next month for the Starter Kit, since I will only be able to afford one of the two (I'm currently a College Student in Electronics, and have a fairly limited budget). Can someone please tell me the difference?

Also, does anyone know if there are plans on making the PropStick available preassembled and/or available w/o the chip?

Post Edited (DeveloperZero) : 6/11/2006 10:28:37 AM GMT

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-06-11 13:59
    DeveloperZero:

Propeller Starter Kit ($149)
    Propeller Demo Board
    Propeller Printed Manual
    USB Cable
    Perhaps a few other goodies

There will be an all-SMT Propeller DIP module with USB connection at some point in the future. It's under design but will take some time to reach production.

The Propeller Manual will also be available for download, as it is today.

The timing on the Propeller Starter Kit is not certain. If you want to get started, order the Demo Board or PropStick.

Hope this answered your questions -

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • DWinchellDWinchell Posts: 60
    edited 2006-06-11 14:25
    Can't wait to see the Propeller DIP. Sounds really cool. Will it be like the BSLA in size ?? PropSTICKS are really easy to build !! Less than an hour and you are running.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank You

David Winchell

David@Winchell.com
  • DeveloperZeroDeveloperZero Posts: 15
    edited 2006-06-11 20:07
    Thank you so much for the information. I will go ahead and order the Demo Board and PropStick later today, then just order a printed copy of the manual next month. (You might want to make a note of the difference, although I started thinking that might be it after I had posted, considering it was being released the same day as the manual)

Also, what kind of goodies are you talking about?

-DeveloperZero
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

DeveloperZero:

Propeller Starter Kit ($149)
    Propeller Demo Board
    Propeller Printed Manual
    USB Cable
    Perhaps a few other goodies

There will be an all-SMT Propeller DIP module with USB connection at some point in the future. It's under design but will take some time to reach production.

The Propeller Manual will also be available for download, as it is today.

The timing on the Propeller Starter Kit is not certain. If you want to get started, order the Demo Board or PropStick.

Hope this answered your questions -

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-06-11 23:24
    DeveloperZero:

I can't say for certain because it will create an expectation we may not meet if extra "goodies" are not thrown into the kit. Some decisions are still being made. But worry not - any pieces of the Starter Kit will also be available serparately.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • DeveloperZeroDeveloperZero Posts: 15
    edited 2006-06-12 06:04
    Just a suggestion, but you could add the 2.5" monitor, keyboard, and mouse and·bump the price to $200.
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    DeveloperZero:

I can't say for certain because it will create an expectation we may not meet if extra "goodies" are not thrown into the kit. Some decisions are still being made. But worry not - any pieces of the Starter Kit will also be available serparately.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.