Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Things not to do with your Propeller and demo board — Parallax Forums

Things not to do with your Propeller and demo board

kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
edited 2006-06-05 06:57 in Propeller 1
Don't use Beau's Frequency Sythesizer code to test how much old age has affected your hearing [noparse]:([/noparse]

I had just put in several hours working on my robot code, and decided I needed a break. Using Beau's code I plugged in a headset, set the volume down to 1 notch, and changed the code to generate tones in the audible frequency range. My left ear dropped out at 12 khz, and my right ear at about 13 khz. My wife could hear 14khz in both, but not higher. I remember taking a hearing test in my teens and being able to hear 16 khz easy.

I guess a bright side in this is that I don't need to spend money on high end audio gear. rolleyes.gif

Kerry

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-06-05 02:08
    Kerry,

I'm glad that the "Frequency Synthesizer" that I posted wasn't the cause of your hearing dilemma smilewinkgrin.gif

I'll see what I can hear tomorrow.... smhair.gif

Update:

My hearing threshold seems to be at about 18kHz in both ears.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 6/5/2006 2:38:10 PM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-06-05 06:57
    I have a life long friend that became an avid audiophile at 12.· He would claim all sorts of abilities about hearing stereo and nuances.· He has collected just about everything you can imagine [noparse][[/noparse]including 10,000 vinyl records].· I never could follow it all.

When he finally got his hearing tested, it seemed that he actually had ranges·in which·he was totally deaf. I often wonder which came first - the interest in music or the deafness.· I just listen to whatever and try to enjoy the ambiance music creates.

Nonetheless it seems·apparent that·we can all hear the noise.· Digital is quite wonderful.· Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 6/9/2006 1:29:11 AM GMT