Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Counters stop working when I use the parallel LCD — Parallax Forums

Counters stop working when I use the parallel LCD

SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
edited 2006-05-27 06:05 in Propeller 1
I'm experimenting with the Propeller's counters to try to figure out how they work. (I've managed to make a sawtooth wave!)

The only display device currently near my workstation is the parallel LCD on my PDB. Unfortunately, it seems that whenever I use my LCD object it causes the counter to stop working. I've attached a project that illustrates the problem. If you un-comment the lines in synth.spin that use the lcd object, the counter stops having an effect on pins 0 & 1.

If someone can take a look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-05-27 05:34
    I'll look at this a little bit deeper when I get a chance.

Is there any way you can re-arrange the hierarchy, so that "Debug_Parallel_Lcd.spin" is at least at the same level as "FrequencySynth.spin"?

It might be that the "Debug_Parallel_Lcd.spin" uses one or both of the CTR's in some way that is clobbering the "FrequencySynth.spin" or vise
    versa. Remember that when you set a frequency with one of the CTR's using "FrequencySynth.spin",·it does NOT launch another COG. If there
    is a collision with the CTR's,·you may need to either launch "Debug_Parallel_Lcd.spin" or "FrequencySynth.spin" into a COG of it's own.

This is just a speculation, I'm not at a computer right now that I can test your code with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-05-27 06:05
    I haven't looked at the code, but when I've run into issues where starting something new caused problems it was typically due to the stack not being large enough.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control