Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA Character Display - uses only 2.6KB — Parallax Forums

VGA Character Display - uses only 2.6KB

cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
edited 2006-06-05 02:18 in Propeller 1
Here is a fast and memory-efficient VGA character display. Unlike tv_terminal, this uses only 1 COG and does not need to maintain a whole bitmap. It only needs·one word for each character on the display. It uses the Propeller's internal font. This should be handy for debugging.

You can send data to it like a terminal and it will wrap around and scroll. It also has a customizable palette which can be programmed to use any of the 64 possible VGA colors for different foregrounds and backgrounds. Also, there's row and column positioning so that you can control where something gets printed if you need to. There's also decimal, hex, and binary printing, along with strings and characters.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Chip Gracey (Parallax)) : 5/17/2006 9:47:02 AM GMT

Comments

• El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-05-17 11:52
    Just one word: WOW!!!

Does Parallax·is considering·to sell a decent VGA display size say, 5.7 inches?

I will subscribe to one.
  • cbmeekscbmeeks Posts: 634
    edited 2006-05-17 14:39
    Man, that looks great.

Makes me wonder why I have spent so much time developing my own GPU when I can get one for $25...lol

cbmeeks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Metroid Classic:
    http://metroidclassic.com

Metroid Forums:
    http://eblarg.com/bbs/mc

=========
    DMCA Sucks
    RIAA Sucks
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-05-17 14:44
    Thanks Chip, now the question is: do I get a KVM switch, or continue using the RCA->CH3 Adapter->TV card setup. Ah decisions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-05-18 00:16
    any plans for something this efficient for us TV users?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-05-18 04:45
    Coming up tonight...
    CJ said...
    any plans for something this efficient for us TV users?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-05-18 20:36
    Well, the VGA text is AWESOME!... Fits down and outright nice into a little program...
    Next up... keyboard (as soon as I get my ps/2 jacks...) [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    (For now, I'm gonna play with the vga_text and add a box w/ color and highlight overlay and memory (so it will replace the text under it when it's done... heck, this is better then VBDOS (Which I still have and use....)... just need some forms stuff and it's a good to go thing...
    Come to think of it, the programming and the looks and feel of the vga terminal... it is very much like vbdos...
    Hmmmmmm...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Jim CJim C Posts: 76
    edited 2006-05-19 21:40
    Using the VGA demo program, and the Example08 KeyboardInput (the latest version, without the _iso issue), I combined things a little bit. The result is a cool 17" VGA output for typing into the Propeller with a little keyboard.

1) Wouldn't have thought it was possible.
    2) Got it to work without to much difficulty.

Next: What about backspacing? I see that vga_text.spin has a backspace function. Just got to figure out how to get the keyboard to work it....

Attached is the simple program using Chip's vga_text.spin and vga.spin programs

(Note: cpin and dpin are not the same as on the demo board.)
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-05-19 23:57
    If you get a $C8 from the keyboard, convey an $08 to the vga_text.out method. That will make·a backspace.
    Jim C said...

Next: What about backspacing? I see that vga_text.spin has a backspace function. Just got to figure out how to get the keyboard to work it....
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Phillip Y.Phillip Y. Posts: 62
    edited 2006-06-05 02:18
    I like the large font this uses.

I added a mouse and cursor with display of·it's x , y locations and the word data of the screen[noparse][[/noparse] ] memory.
    I would like to improve the indication of the mouse/cursor location but I don't understand the bit pattern calculations

vga_text_PY.spin
    · PUB print(c)
    ·· · screen[noparse][[/noparse]row * cols + col] := (color << 1 + c & 1) << 10 + $200 + c & $FE

' idealy I would invert foreground and/or background color to indicate cursor position· if I understood the bit positions i could xor them.

Phillip Y.