Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another IDE option. — Parallax Forums

Another IDE option.

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-05-09 05:00 in Propeller 1
I keep looking at the 24LC256 with the 3 grounded address lines [noparse][[/noparse]logically 0-0-0] and I wonder if I hook more than one 24LC256 to the same I2C bus, what would happen?

Could [noparse][[/noparse]or does] the IDE provide for multiple EEPROMs with different addresses and allow the processor to select to reboot amongst the choices?· Or, do I have to provide another I2C bus and a driver Object for that?

I suppose this isn't needed right away, but it would be nice.· I suspect that Mr. LaMothe would like it as a way to jump from one game to another.· But, it could also be used to completely change the 'personality' of a keyboard, a mouse, or other I/O features.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-08 10:06
    As long as they have different addresses, you can have up to 8 EEPROMs on the same I2C-bus without any adverse effects. It's just a question of setting different addresses on each.
    (I believe a I2C object was recently uploaded here?)

If you REALLY want to make the Propeller boot from another EEPROM, you'll have to connect the EEPROMs Address-pins to some sort of latch and have the program on the Propeller change that before doing a ReBoot.

Of course, making certain that the latches defaults to 000(or whatever you prefer) after a power on is the difficult part.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-08 16:04
    I thought a bit more about this and I fear what I have in mind might actually require changing the silicon. I was thinking of having the boot procedure offer up a selection sequence.

Still, I am facinated by how I might share the I2C buss for use with a Real Time Clock chip [noparse][[/noparse]Phillips has one with 240bytes of BU RAM] and maybe an I2C port expander to provide 8 bits of I/O for the ones lost to a few peripherals.

I get so caught up in dreaming how to make things better that I never get anything built.
    I am still dreaming of a 3.3volt BasicStamp that will be fast, but with low power -- maybe call it 'Cold Chili' after the 40pin SX set up.

I will definitely take a look at the I2C object. I envy all you guys that have had one of these for a month or more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-08 16:07
    You can share the buss without issue; the only thing you can't do is hang a memory device with address %000 on those pins because that's where the Propeller wants to load its code from. You can swap the 24LC256 with a bigger memory (make sure its addressing scheme matches the '256) and use the locations above 32K for your own use; Andre' LaMothe is doing this in some of his game programs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-05-08 17:12
    My I2C object is posted on this forum, along with three examples of devices (eeprom, ds1621 and ds1307)

I will be writing an object this week for the MCP23016 I2C bus expander - watch this space!

James
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-09 05:00
    I already ordered some 24LC512s from Mouser and was wondering if I could put one at %000 as a swap. Happy to hear that is an option. Still waiting for the I2C bus expander and a 10bit 4 ADC I2C. I have to order that Real Time Clock too. I had thought that Temperature is not much use to me, but with the Video display; Time, Date, Temperature are certainly convienent.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔