Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial Interface Options — Parallax Forums

Serial Interface Options

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-05-03 14:54 in Propeller 1
While the Propeller Clip [noparse][[/noparse]aka not the Propeller Tool which is the IDE]·seems like the prefered option, there seems to be a flurry of information as we all scramble to make due as our Propellers actually arrive.

From what I can glean, the following are proposed

A. USB choices
>> The Propeller Clip [noparse][[/noparse]aka Propeller Tool] - just plug it in, let Parallax worry.
>> Parallax's USB2SER [noparse][[/noparse]Appears to provide all appropriate TTL signals]
>> ANY Other USB to RS-232 converter [noparse][[/noparse]this will require you to consider choices B. or C. to properly create communications] May be trouble. Does it provide for Pin 4 as a Reset or not?

B. Maxim choices
[noparse][[/noparse]NOTE - since there are 3 lines involved, some prefer to by-pass the Maxim for the reset; other persons choose to have all go through the Maxim chip and the reset would require an inversion from the first choice]
>> MAX3232 [noparse][[/noparse]the 3.3volt chip that may go to 5.0volt operation]
>> MAX232 [noparse][[/noparse]the 5.0volt chip that may provide 4.8volts to the TTL side]

C. Transistor choices
>> Beau's··3 Transistor design as·posted in Mike Cook's Serial interface thread and later adapted to all serial communication.
>> Chip's 'minimal' 2 Transistor·design which is posted in Chip's own thread.

As you can see, you may get bogged down in all the PROs and CONs, so this is to help you sort it out.

I suppose all this hub-bub is an indicator of huge popularity.· Congrats again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/3/2006 2:34:37 PM GMT

Comments

• parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-03 10:03
    Kramer,

I'd like to chime in, as I have some results, and will have more this evening when I get my other computer back from my lady.

Option 3:

I have wired both up with no success. My current config is Chip's minimal design (I tried Beau's design first, then de-soldered).

I was hooking up to my Prop with a Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor, which is why I think things won't work (hence the Parallax Propeller clip). Tonight I will try with a REAL serial connection that is located on my older laptop. I will post results from that too.

-Parsko
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-03 13:41
    The Propeller Clip is the hardware device for connection your PC; the Propeller Tool is the IDE for developing Propeller programs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-03 14:33
    Parsko,
    Laptops have been particularly troublesome for RS-232 serial connections. Parallax has wisely moved over to USB, but many programmers prefer to use an older computer for their hobby because WindowsXT limits the kinds of older software they can use.

With the laptops, everyone wanted to provide low power. So the RS-232 voltages were cut was down and often incomplete [noparse][[/noparse]in some cases no negative]. The USB is the prefered interface. But that requires appropriate software support as well.

In other words, it may not be the transistor setup. It might be the laptop doesn't properly drive the interface.

Jon,
    Thanks, I re-read the documentation and noted that the Propeller Tool is the IDE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-03 14:54
    Kramer,

Granted I am talking about red apples and green apples, but my old laptop (that I will try tonight) worked on my prior ucontroller flawlessly, even in debug mode. I agree though, it is likely my laptop (I'm going to give it to my lady and replace it with a desktop).

-Parsko

EDIT:

See this POST for one working solution.

Also see this POST for another, and perhaps the more robust(?) working solution.

Post Edited (parsko) : 5/3/2006 9:43:23 PM GMT