Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can this be true? — Parallax Forums

Can this be true?

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-05-02 16:46 in Propeller 1
I started to read the Propeller documentation and was immediately surprised to read that the I/O pins can be independent of the hub.

Does this mean that if I wish to do so·I can have one COG just handle an assigned·set of I/O pins and remain completely independent of the other COGs?

It seems quite strange, but I can see where it could be sometimes useful.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-05-02 16:05
    Kramer,

·· That is correct...The individual Cogs can have direct access to the I/O lines.· The Hub controls access to the shared memory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-02 16:25
    This is getting darn exciting again. I can have one or two COGs tasked together with their own I/O and the other ones involved in a different aspect of things: either tasked in combination or separate.

I suppose that might not be true parallel. But it is a lot of power in one little package.

I just must get my breadboarded version up and running ASAP, even without the EEPROM and MAX3232.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-02 16:46
    Also keep in mind that each cog has two CTR modules that can also be setup to independently control I/O pins (PWM, etc.). If anything, the Propeller is an I/O monster (good monster, that is).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax