Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Differences between Demo and Developent Boards — Parallax Forums

Differences between Demo and Developent Boards

El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
edited 2006-04-06 07:20 in Propeller 1
Could somebody explain to me the detailed differences between the Demo and Developemnt Boards?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-04-05 15:46
    At the moment we only have a demo board; though one can certainly do development with it.· You may have see pictures of it in Nuts & Volts, our forums, or other sites on the Internet.· The release version will have the USB interface built-in and will add a second PS/2 mouse/keyboard port.· The other ports are VGA, RCA video, and stereo audio (headphone connection).· It also has a small BOE-style breadboard.

I've attached a copy of my Rev A (pre-production) board that is connected to our 4x20 serial LCD and displaying the temperature from a DS1620 that's plugged into the breadboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    682 x 511 - 155K
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2006-04-05 19:42
    And so it appears that the "starter kit" will be a demo board, manual and USB cable? Will the manual also be available for PDF download?

What extra hardware is there on the demo board to support the VGA/RCA video out and the stereo out? It is just basic signal conditioning off some the the Propeller's output lines?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
    edited 2006-04-05 21:30
    Of course -- our manuals are always available in PDF form. It is also being converted to help file format so that the manual and the help file are a very direct match.

If you look at the picture above you can see (right to left) the DB-15 VGA out, the RCA video out, and the 1/8th stereo jack for headphones.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-04-05 21:57
    Jon Williams (Parallax) said...
    Of course -- our manuals are always available in PDF form. It is also being converted to help file format so that the manual and the help file are a very direct match.

If you look at the picture above you can see (right to left) the DB-15 VGA out, the RCA video out, and the 1/8th stereo jack for headphones.

I don't think I have seen a VGA object in anything in the library so far, but what is the connection arrangement for the VGA as opposed to the composite video arrangement of three pins summed to an RCA connector via a resistive network.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    edited 2006-04-06 07:20
    The VGA port uses more pins as it needs two-bit DACS for R, G, and B.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams