▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ryan Clarke
Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
1272 x 477 - 233K

Comments

• bottomgunbottomgun Posts: 26
    edited 2006-03-17 17:15
    The control panel in the background of the early supposed computer actually looks to be the Reactor Control Panel on an older US nuclear sub.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-03-17 17:40
    Yes, I love how they built a "model" of a computer that will "require technology not yet invented" -

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-03-17 17:47
    I especially like the large steering wheel... it was a good thing the mouse was invented!
  • Charlie JohnsonCharlie Johnson Posts: 147
    edited 2006-03-17 18:12
    The steering wheels are the ahead and astern throttles from the manuvering room of and old sub, looks like a 598 class.
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-03-17 18:26
    The steering wheel shown is clearly to change execution from COG to COG.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-03-17 18:41
    LMAO!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-03-17 18:47
    I think Jon Williams is working on a Propeller object to bring back the old style steering wheel.
    Notice the dual wheels, I think one is for fine tuning, and the other is a course adjustment.
    This is only used for debugging when you need to single step line by line through the program,
    or move from one COG to the next. smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-17 19:45
    Not me, but Jeff has already written a rotary encoder object that -- with a bit of mechanical coupling -- deal with that big wheel quite nicely.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-03-17 20:53
    I spent many hours of many months both sitting at the "big Wheel" for propulsion, left rightmost seat - the Electrical Control Panel (ECP), and when shutdown, the center panel, the Reactor Control Panel (RCP). Makes me shudder, lol. But even back then I use have discussions with other techs how we could bring in reactor temperature and pressure to show where in the stress curves the system was operating on a LED grid or similar. I wish I had a propeller or even a BS2 back in the 80's [noparse]:)[/noparse] Would have made all those months under the water a lot more interesting!!

I'm not sure about the sub class, but it looked much like my Sturgeon 637 classes I was assigned to.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Perform an Employer's Survey of Electronic Technologies Graduates· - Click here!
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    and SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2006-03-17 21:48
    "with... the fortran language the computer will be easy to use"
    eh? Windows Fortran Edition
    Its ironic that PC pioneers gave us that much credit because today computer developers focus on ergonomic rather than funtional and robust software.

"with a bit of mechanical coupling" - Jon
    LOL see mine @ http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=15&m=100557

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    engineer, fireman, bowler, father, WoW addict [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • bottomgunbottomgun Posts: 26
    edited 2006-03-18 00:51
    Martin,
    Have seen the RAND Corp. image previously but it wasn't until today that it struck me that it was from a nuke control room. I believe it is from a pre-Sturgeon Class sub as there is only one rod withdrawl control handle on the center console. What boat(s) did you ride?

Jay K. Jeffries
    Leading ELT
    USS Bluefish (SSN-675)
    USS Sea Devil (SSN-664)

PS: Great job on the Process Control text...working through the exercises now.
  • currentccurrentc Posts: 17
    edited 2006-03-18 04:02
    The picture was created in 2004 from a photo of a submarine panel. The story is on this site http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp
  • Charlie JohnsonCharlie Johnson Posts: 147
    edited 2006-03-18 05:00
    Martin, Jay

As Nuke's, you know more than I do...Was an FTG on USS Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602, and Plank owner on USS Georgia SSBN 729.

It looks like an S5W manuvering room to me.

Ahh oooo gaaa -- Dive Dive Dive

smile.gif
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-03-18 13:28
    Hey dy8
    Well, I may have been a nuke, but you remember the terminology better than I, which pleases me!· Though it's been 13 years for me now, when anxiety hits, I have submarine dreams.· Months underwater with crews with bad attitudes can leave a lasting impression.· Still, I forwarded the picture to some·friends from those days·[noparse]:)[/noparse]

-Martin
  • FeiFei Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-20 08:52
    hahaha~~~ the world changing very fast