Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller - Guess The Price — Parallax Forums

Propeller - Guess The Price

CariadCariad Posts: 13
edited 2006-03-28 16:12 in Propeller 1
OK,· a few weeks to go, lets see who can guess the price of the Propeller 40 Pin Chip, Parallaxes Dev Board, and the Hydra Dev board by Andre'(released later on). I have 3 browny points to give away and they will be given to the closest guess in each category. Let the guessing begin.

jumpin.gif

Propeller 40 Pin Chip
Parallaxes Dev Board
Hydra Dev board by Andre'

Post Edited (Cariad) : 3/28/2006 10:29:22 PM GMT

Comments

• KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
    edited 2006-03-16 14:18
    My guesses:

Propeller 40 Pin Chip - $25
    Parallaxes Dev Board - $150 for full devkit
    Hydra Dev board by Andre' - $150

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.speechchips.com

Speech & Video IC's for BasicStamps
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-03-16 14:24
    Propeller 40pin $18
    DevBoard $149
    Hydra $179

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-16 16:40
    Propeller 40 pin 16.99
    DevBoard $147.69
    Hydra $178.95

Why? I dunno. I guess the numbers look a bit more intelligent to me.
    Shipping to Taiwan? [noparse][[/noparse]no comment, people are begining to tell me to come home]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 3/17/2006 3:35:07 PM GMT
  • Lord SteveLord Steve Posts: 206
    edited 2006-03-16 18:00
    Propeller 40-pin: $19.80
    DevBoard: $99
    Hydra: $99
    Misprogramming·your propeller-based robot to bring you hot coffee and drop it onto your crotch:· Priceless
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-03-16 18:57
    Propeller 40-pin $79.99
    Dev board $129.99
    Bundle Pack $99.99
    Hydra $119.99

I just hope I'm real high on these gustimates...
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-03-16 19:33
    If I were Parallax, I would pick up the highest estimated price for the 40-pin Propeller, so KK, be careful smile.gif .

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-03-16 19:39
    /me edits his quotes...
    $14.99 for the Propeller...
    $14.99 for the Dev board...
    $14.99 for the Bundle....
    $14.99 for the Hydra...
    $60.00 total...

Better???

LOL...

Guenther, I lived in Landstuhl for over 7 years... when to highschool in Ramstine & K-Town... you anywhere near there? I did a lot of traveling as well... but that was back in the late 70's early 80's... when I was young... much younger... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-03-16 23:04
    KK,

your new quotes make a nice average smile.gif .

You may have noticed that I did not post a quote so far. This is because I have another idea in mind:

Parallax might charge a basic price for the Propeller, covering the chip, the enclosure, the hub and the hub RAM/ROM plus one Cog.

More Cogs will be licensed on a per-Cog basis. In order to activate another Cog, you need to inter-connect a certain number and combination of I/O pins at power-up once. So, after paying the Cog license fee to Parallax, they will provide you with a schematic showing how to inter-connect those pins. Maybe, there will be special discounts offered when you buy more than one Cog license at a time with a "hyper-interconnect" schematic allowing you to activate more than one Cog at a time.

Hey, you lived in the Landstuhl/Ramstein area for a time? I know these places but I'm living close to Cologne, i.e. in the mid-western part of Germany.

Don't worry, in the 70's, early 80's I was young..much younger too smile.gif .

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
    edited 2006-03-17 13:28
    I'm hoping Parallax produces a Propeller XP home version and and XP Pro version.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.speechchips.com

Speech & Video IC's for BasicStamps
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2006-03-17 13:54
    Propeller 40-pin: $12.50
    DevBoard: $69
    Hydra: $169

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • CariadCariad Posts: 13
    edited 2006-03-17 15:40
    Propeller 40-pin $12.50
    Dev board $199.00
    Hydra $299.00
    edited 2006-03-17 16:02
    Ummm, as stated else where by various People... the USB2SER thinggie for $29.99 is required... I believe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-17 16:43
    Kaos Kidd said...
    Ummm, as stated else where by various People... the USB2SER thinggie for $29.99 is required... I believe

No it isn't, a Propeller clip comes with it, you only need the USB2SER if you are working with the DIP version of the propeller. The clip is the item circled in red in the pic.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=40883

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
    277 x 278 - 18K
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-03-17 18:27
    I have confirmed that the production version of the Propeller Demo Board will have the FTDI chip built in and will use a mini USB connector. The Propeller Clip is good for run-and-gun programming, but not necessary for a demo board; incorporating the components simplifies things for the end user. The board will also get another PS2 port so you can use the mouse and keyboard (part of an accessory pack we're working on) at the same time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-03-17 18:40
    It's gonna be a long month!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-03-17 18:46
    Propeller 40-pin: not yet available (sorry)
    Propeller Demo Board: $149.95
    Propeller Professional Development Board: $219.95
    PropellerWorks 1.0 Kit with PDB: $299.95
    Hydra Board: $260.95

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-03-17 19:19
    Kaos Kidd said...
    It's gonna be a long month!

Well... given the Prpeller Beanie printed on the chip, and the lack of any 'uptightness' in Parallax, I seriously expect it to be launched April 1.

smile.gif

Which will mean that the next two weeks after that, until I get my paycheck, will be agony...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-03-17 19:32
    Gadgetman said...

I seriously expect it to be launched April 1.
    Maybe the entire Propeller project is some elaborate April Fool's Day joke smilewinkgrin.gif .

I know I know it's awful for me to suggest such a thing, I wouldn't have done so if I didn't already have one in my little paws tongue.gif .

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • jcpolejcpole Posts: 92
    edited 2006-03-17 19:45
    That would be pretty funny - the new digital issue of Nuts & Volts came out today, and the normal Stamp column was pre-empted by Propeller information.

I'm confused about one thing, though. People (non-Parallax people, unless I missed something) are posting code for the Propeller that seems to have been tested - is the IDE available for download, or is this posted code just theoretical or "might work, might not work" stuff?

Also, did we ever get a concrete answer about whether or not there will be an IDE for Mac OSX?

This is a pretty strange way to handle a new product release - I've never seen anything quite like it.

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --
    Jamie C. Pole
    Principal Consultant
    J.C. Pole & Associates, Inc.
    http://www.jcpa.com/
    edited 2006-03-17 19:47
    Jamie,

We invited several guests -- most long-time and advanced Parallax customers -- to our facility for a preview of the Propeller and put preliminary tools and silicon into their hands.· So the answer is no, the IDE is not publicly available; we've got a bit of work to do yet and we're getting great feedback from that wonderful group of guests.

We're a Windows-oriented company, so the IDE is a Windows tool.· That said, we will be creating files for Mac and Linux developers who want to create custom tools for those operating systems.

This is a different kind of product; good, bad, or indifferent, we're breaking a lot of rules (or expectations, anyway).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 3/17/2006 7:50:24 PM GMT
  • jcpolejcpole Posts: 92
    edited 2006-03-17 19:52
    Okay - that makes a few things make more sense.

Thanks for the info...

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --
    Jamie C. Pole
    Principal Consultant
    J.C. Pole & Associates, Inc.
    http://www.jcpa.com/
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-03-17 20:18
    inaki said...
    Propeller 40-pin: not yet available (sorry)
    Propeller Demo Board: $149.95
    Propeller Professional Development Board: $219.95
    PropellerWorks 1.0 Kit with PDB: $299.95
    Hydra Board: $260.95

Yikes - prices are climbing fast!!!

Won't be able to afford it by the time it comes out.......
    edited 2006-03-17 20:34
    Ok, a LONG two weeks is still a long two weeks...
    I still find it astonishing how much you can do with this one chip...
    I just really keep the prices down so us regular joes can afford it

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-03-17 21:44
    Paul Baker said...
    Gadgetman said...

I seriously expect it to be launched April 1.
    Maybe the entire Propeller project is some elaborate April Fool's Day joke smilewinkgrin.gif .

Actually, I believe I suggested that way back the first day after the information showed up in a thread in the Sandbox forum...

Jon was very quick to refute that idea.

Yes, it IS a joke... Upon the rest of the microcontroller-industry...

smile.gif

They could just as well have written 'Nyah!' on it instead of the Propeller Beanie because they're thumbing their noses at companies like Atom and others who have been busy copying the Basic Stamps, and saying 'copy THIS!' smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-03-17 22:22

They could just as well have written 'Nyah!' on it instead of the Propeller Beanie because they're thumbing their noses at companies like Atom and others who have been busy copying the Basic Stamps, and saying 'copy THIS!' smile.gif

Indeed any company large or small (though for different reasons) would be very hard pressed to produce a comperable microcontroller at the same price.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2006-03-19 12:30
    Cariad said...
    OK,· a few weeks to go, lets see who can guess the price of the Propeller 40 Pin Chip, Parallaxes Dev Board, and the Hydra Dev board by Andre'(released later on). I have 3 browny points to give away and they will be given to the closest guess in each category. Let the guessing begin.

jumpin.gif

Propeller 40 Pin Chip
    Parallaxes Dev Board
    Hydra Dev board by Andre'

PS. Hi Andre' just visiting.

Mike

Demo board··· $69.95roll.gif
    PChip 40pin····$8.95·· smhair.gif

Hydra kit·······$140.95·turn.gif

cheers Dennis
    edited 2006-03-19 15:58
    Please be careful with the "guessing games" -- a casual browser of our forums may pick up someone's guess and turn it to gospel, spreading it elsewhere.· Lauren tells me she will be releasing official pricing very soon (it's nice).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • FeiFei Posts: 4
    edited 2006-03-21 02:12
    Propeller 40-pin: $18.80
    DevBoard: $108
    Hydra: $208
  • PaulPaul Posts: 263
    edited 2006-03-21 13:27
    Yeah, but speculation is so much fun, Jon!
    Remember that Parallax just invested a bunch in the SX line and really doesn't want to se it trumped by the newest jewel in its crown so there has to be some sort of "ouch factor" when choosing the Propeller over the SX. But then they do sell the SX48 proto board for $10 so what do I know?

"DISCLAIMER: The following is purely speculation based on no facts what so ever" [noparse];)[/noparse]

Propeller 40-pin: $49.95
    DevBoard: $99.95
    Hydra: $129.95
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-03-21 14:02
    I hope Parallax is averaging all these guesses out for a good price [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I may have my pre-release one, but I'm itching for a few more so that I can cut students lose on them and start using them for end of semester projects! We try to do a lot of multiple sensing and control, and end up using several BS2's to get it done. One Propeller could sure go a long way [noparse]:)[/noparse] As it is I'm too worried about them destroying mine.

-Martin