Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Catalyst Digital Potentiometers — Parallax Forums

Catalyst Digital Potentiometers

Keith HiltonKeith Hilton Posts: 150
edited 2005-08-18 01:58 in Learn with BlocklyProp
tongue.gif·Catalyst Semiconductors has a new applications book using Parallax Basic Stamp and their Digital Potentiometers.· It is titled:"Parallax Basic Stamp Controls Catalyst Digital Potentiometers".·Free. ·Does anyone know of any other Digital Potentiometer maker who has application notes using Parallax?
I have been trying to write a program that converts a variable analog voltage to a variable digital potentiometer wiper·reading, using the basic stamp.· The catch to what I am trying to do is making the Up/Down input of the digital potentiometer follow the voltage· of the analog sensor as it happens.· I have got the basic stamp reading my variable analog voltage.· I can also get the basic stamp working a digital potentiometer.· What I can't do yet, is combine the two things, where the up/down of the digital pot follows the analog voltage.· I am getting really close after reading Catalyst's Design Guide-Digitally Programmable Potentiometers. There is one design idea in Catalyst's guide,·where there are two inputs controling the pot's wiper.· Take either to ground, or zero, and it controls the movement of the wiper.· The CS pin is tied to ground. The·INC pin is tied to which direction you move the U/D pin.· Make sure Jon Williams reads this. Thankstongue.gif

Post Edited By Moderator (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 8/17/2005 8:02:52 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-08-17 22:30
    Okay, I read it....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Keith HiltonKeith Hilton Posts: 150
    edited 2005-08-18 01:58
    Jon, I really liked your MIDI article in Nuts and Volts Magazine a month or so back.· What was on my mind was changing the input switches to something else.· The switches are like a piano.· I was thinking of a couple of different approaches to making a stringed guitar work.· Maybe infra-red·LED's vibrating·altering voltage on a infra-red photo transistor, where the voltage operated the switches.· The voltage of the vibrating string could be turned into frequency. You could also build the input with a schmitt trigger, or A/D converter, based on a strings frequency. Thanks for the great articles in Nuts and Volts Jon, you keep me thinking.·