Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
tab sumo bot — Parallax Forums

tab sumo bot

waltwalt Posts: 27
edited 2005-04-25 18:22 in Robotics
·I just purchased a·tab· SUMOBOT . It came with no instructions while· I think I understand the programing. ·I do not know how to install it. Do I set the Bot to remote A or B and if I do does it program over it so that the new pprogram is in a or b ? I did get it at COMPUSA· $18.88. Last one they had at any store around here.

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-04-25 00:02
    The instructions on how to assemble the robot are PDF files on the CD. The switch on the robot labeled 'remote' should be set the same as your IR controller. The simplest way to determine this is to assemble the robot and put batteries in both. After you switch on the robot, you should be able to control the direction of the robot by simply pressing the up, down, turn left or turn right keys on the remote. If the remote doesn't seem to work, turn the robot off, move the 'remote' switch and turn the robot on. More information here www.tabrobotkit.com/ and groups.yahoo.com/group/tabrobotkit/

Note the robot has some simple programs built-in (programmed in the Microchip PIC chip) and functions with the IR remote as soon as you turn it on. The built-in BS2 on the tab Sumobot is working as a coprocessor to extend the built-in programs.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-25 13:44
    Yup, the TAB Sumo Bot is a great little platform. Note that TAB no longer manufactures them, but Ben Wirz still supports them over on tabrobotkits on Yahoo Groups. It's the platform that got me started. Now that they're gone, the BOE-Bot is probably the best platform to work with -- it's a little more powerful, a little more flexible, a little more adaptable. And a little more expensive than the $99 MSRP, but still a good value.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-25 15:26
    Allan,

·· Actually, right now, you can get the BOE-Bot Serial version on eBay (69 available) at $99.00 each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4661&item=7509399740&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-25 17:17
    Very cool. Of course, right now (if you can find them) you can get TAB Sumo Bot's for $20 each -- but who is counting?

And I really like the serial version best -- I assume this means you'll quit making the serial version?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-25 18:22
    Allan,

· Not that I know of...I'm still using all serial interface boards myself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com