Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
C2D2 (R2D2) body for a Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

C2D2 (R2D2) body for a Boe-Bot

Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
edited 2005-04-13 13:42 in Robotics
A plastic Foldger's coffee can and a plastic bowl are going together to make a body for the Boe-Bot.

Post Edited (Russ) : 4/8/2005 5:52:21 AM GMT
577 x 786 - 124K

Comments

• John Raplee, JrJohn Raplee, Jr Posts: 32
    edited 2005-04-08 07:10
    Now this is awsome... This is an awsome idea! Good work!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Computer Specs
    _______
    "I had no professional training, I gave it my all, I have no regrets" -William Hung
    _______
    Enterprisesig.gif
  • Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
    edited 2005-04-08 13:58
    boe-bot turns into r2-d2, very nice

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon

And may God Bless America!
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-08 14:33
    The attached program may be useful for your project; it contains code to play several R2D2-like sound effects.· I don't know who wrote the original code, I've simply updated it so that it will work on any BS2 micro.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-04-08 20:15
    Thanks for the encouraging words.

Does anyone know of a better way to paint or color the plastic containers? The spray paint scuffs off to easily.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-04-08 20:23
    You need paint that is formulated to adhere to plastic like this product http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=830&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=vinyl%2Cpaint
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-04-08 20:37
    Or give it a light rubbing with very fine wet and dry sandpaper?

Also, if you take a look in the hobby shops, they have those miniature tins with paint meant for plastic models.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 82
    edited 2005-04-08 23:37
    looks like a fun project.

good job!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-04-10 20:21
    Great project.· I love the look.

Polyethylene (HDPE, LDPE, or UHMW) is one of those plastics that is impossible (and I do mean impossible) to paint.· Many companies claim to·produce paint that adheres to PE.· I've tried many of them only to have them fail.· I have not tried the stuff recommended by Paul but I have my doubts.· The description claims to create a chemical bond.· The problem with PE is that it is a fully saturated polymer and there are no bonding sites on the molecule at all.

Sanding the surface helps but slight scuffs can still rub the paint off.· Also, variations in temperature will cause the PE to expand and contract and the paint just peels off on its own.· I have found that one of the few things that sticks to PE is masking tape that is left on for a few weeks.· Then it's really hard to get off unless you use a solvent.

Many other plastics are paintable, a few others are not.· A good test to check paintability is to see if a drop of solvent such as acetone or xylene attacks (melts) a test sample of the plastic.

Chris Isaacson
  • bishopbishop Posts: 82
    edited 2005-04-11 13:40
    you could always buy one of those bumper sticker kits for inkjet and print out stickers to adhere to the bot.
    you could download some images of r2-d2 components and use those on the stickers.
    just a thought....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

daniel woolston
    Teksystems Inc.
    www.danwoolston.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-12 17:55
    Wow, it really IS a cover for a BOE-Bot chassis. Outstanding. Now all you need is for the 'head' to rotate, and put a camera in there, and a few more leds, and ....
  • KiwiKiwi Posts: 85
    edited 2005-04-12 18:19
    Did you know that the R2 is also a· device for measuring sound levels and alignement of cinema auditoriums (equalising). The·lastest version of R2 is the D2.

greetings from belgium
  • SofalogicSofalogic Posts: 49
    edited 2005-04-13 01:27
    Hi all
    Nice project. The picture to me looks a little bit like a "Dalek" from the Dr. Who series. Put a couple of suction cup arms on the front and Voila!. Exterminate! Exterminate!!

Sofa
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-04-13 13:42
    Kiwi,
    .....and if I recall correctly, the name "R2D2" was originally derived from the way film canisters are labelled and stands for "Reel 2, Day 2"...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...