Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming Ring tones — Parallax Forums

Programming Ring tones

DebraDebra Posts: 2
edited 2005-04-07 15:25 in Learn with BlocklyProp

I have my students programming sheet music to play on their BOEs. Some have done an excellent job and were wondering if there was any way to translate these frequency commands into ring tone files that could be downloaded into their cell phones. I remember seeing something about this somewhere but can't remember where. Any suggestions or ideas? What format would we save our programing as? What would the command prompts be?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• edited 2005-04-06 23:49
    Updated reply:

See What's a Microcontroller v2.2, Chapter 8, Activity #5.

What's a Microcontroller is available for free download from www.parallax.com -> Downloads -> Stamps in Class Tutorials.

There's also appendix G (in What's a Microcontroller), which explains the rules of the Nokia RTTTL RingTone format.

For downloading a ringtone that a student has composed to a phone, it will need to be a phone that supports RTTTL format. The best starting point is to consult the instruction manual for the phone. If the phone does support RTTTL, there are usually two options:
    1. There is sofware and a connector that you can use to download to the phone.
    2. The notes of the ringtone can be entered directly into the phone with the keypad.

Mobile Music·Pro is some·shareware similar to what I used to compose the ringtones in What's a Microcontroller. It can be downloaded from this web site:

· http://www.ringtone4me.com/download.html

With this software, you can compose like sheet music, and click a button to make it show you the RTTTL text string that describes the ringtone.· That text string can be used in the example program from Chapter 8, Activity #5.· Mobile Music Pro can also show you the keypad sequence you can use to enter it into your phone.· ·

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 4/7/2005 12:17:44 AM GMT
  • edited 2005-04-07 00:02
    Sorry, Mobile Music Pro (not Mobile Music Polyphonic) is the one that spits out RTTTL format. And here is the web site:

http://www.ringtone4me.com/download.html

The previous post has been updated (yet again) to reflect this change.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 4/7/2005 12:18:13 AM GMT
  • DebraDebra Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-07 15:25
    Cool.· I get a kid working on it today.· Thank you!