Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Shadow Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

Shadow Boe-Bot

MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
edited 2005-03-07 15:51 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm having trouble with the program on page 262 of the Robotics! with the Boe-Bot. Could someone please help?
bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
Q: "And why shouldn't they, they're so inconvenient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
Q, Omnipotent Prankster

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/2/2005 3:42:29 PM GMT

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-02-27 22:56
    What type of problems are you having?· Make sure that the lighting is good.· Make sure that the object that you are following has a reflective surface.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-02-28 15:55
    Bugg:

The page number you gave 282 is the last page of chapter 8 and doesn't refer to any ot the activities in the chapter.

Our class is working in Chapter 8 and we want to have a train of 4 "Shadow Vehicle" BOE-Bots using the code on page 262, and is probably the page to were refering to.
    Do you have more than one BOE-Bot?

Did you run the test programs from pg 254 "TestLeftFrequencySweep"?
    We got results but the numbers were not very stable. The end of our Range 1 was almost two feet out. Looks like we will have to use a resistor in series with the diode that is 1.0-1.5k Ohms to reduce the IR light.

Did you run the test program from pg 255 "DisplayBothDistances"? Did the screen display a reliable range number?

Did you run the test program from pg 309 "FrequencySweep"? Looks like the results of this program in cobination with a current limiting resistor in series with the IR diodes may be the key to success.

We have not had success with the "FollowingBoeBot" yet. We are still working to characterize the IR Ranges.

I am looking forward to hearing from some of the experts who have had repeated success with "FollowerBoeBot".

I would also like to hear a suggested size for the "side panals" and "tailgate" mentioned on page 264&265
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2005-02-28 16:49
    Russ,

When we run courses for teachers, we often deal with the side panel and tailgate issue for the following Boe-Bots. I've found that a stack of business cards will do the trick perfectly. If you don't have business cards, you can cut some up. I recommend a cardstock material just because it tapes more securely than paper.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2005-02-28 17:30
    Thank you for the feedback about the cards.

I am watching the list of teacher classes for one to be in DFW. Maybe one could be coordinated through contacts at Tanner Electronics.
  • Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
    edited 2005-02-28 18:43
    Hello Russ

As you noted, we don't have classes scheduled in that region, but you can host one!

Here you'll find all the information about hosting an Educator's Course:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/courses/hosting.asp

It's is pretty simple to do it, so if you're interested, please contact me at aalvarez@parallax.com.

Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    Education and Technical Support Manager
    aalvarez@parallax.com
    Parallax, Inc. www.parallax.com
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-03-01 14:47
    Oops. The problem is that my Boe-Bot will follow a piece of paper, but it won't turn with it, it just goes in a straight line. I'm 14, so I can't afford 2 Boe-Bots.cry.gif
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Q, Omnipotent Prankster

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/1/2005 8:36:41 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-01 23:27
    Hello bugg.

If the Boe-Bot is stopping in front of the paper (not turning either side) I'm assuming that both of your sensors work properly but maybe they're not well oriented.

Please take a look at Figure 7-5 (pg. 243) of the "Robotics with the Boe-Bot" book and make sure your IR pairs are not pointing straight forward, but slightly outwards, parallel to the ground.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    aalvarez@parallax.com
    edited 2005-03-02 02:35
    They are. I've tried straight forward, out a little bit, nothing works. I will get it to work within the next 4 months, how do I know that , well, I just got the IR headlights to work after 2 months of trying.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Q, Omnipotent Prankster
    edited 2005-03-02 06:03
    Bugg:

Keep working on it! I just got mine working tonight! It was not really all that tough to do at all.

It is following a soccer ball around the room. I am rolling the ball slowly so that the BoeBot can keep up , but it is alot of fun to watch. It even backs up to get out of the way of the ball.

This Friday we will have 5 BoeBots in a class following each other around. This is going to be great!
    edited 2005-03-02 15:38
    WHAT DID YOU DO!! I WANT TO KNOW!! PLEASE!!! Oh, BTW I changed The IR Roaming program to Make the batteries last longer. What do you think of it?
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Q, Omnipotent Prankster

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/3/2005 4:23:37 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-02 23:40
    bugg.

Did you follow the steps from the "Robotics with the Boe-Bot" book?
    ·
    Please let us know the result you obtained after completing Activity 1, on Chapter 8.
    ·
    Based on testing results in that activity, you may need to make some hardware adjustments, as changing some resistor values.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    aalvarez@parallax.com

Post Edited (Aristides Alvarez (Parallax)) : 3/2/2005 11:43:10 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-03 09:13
    Bugg:

Joey and I made up·some slide in a·PDF file containing pictures which may help you get the components breadboarded for the 'FollowingBoeBot' program.
    edited 2005-03-03 16:10
    Thank you for the pics. I guess the problem is in software.cry.gif
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Q, Omnipotent Prankster
    edited 2005-03-03 17:39
    Bugg:

I would suggest that you open the electronic copy of the Robotics book in Acrobat Reader and then 'cut' the program from the book and 'paste' it into the Stamp Editor.

The Robotics book is on the CD that came with the Boe-Bot. Acrobat Reader·can be installed from·the Parallax CD also.

I am attaching a copy of the program 'DisplayBothDistances.bs2' which I copied right from the book.

You should be able to do the same thing with the 'FollowingBoeBot.bs2' program. It will be necessary to clean it up in the Stamp Editor a little - like removing any lines that contain page numbers, and putting the program lines back into readable columns. This is a good execise though.

I would strongly encourage you to compare the code listed in the book (using Acrobat Reader) with the code you have in the Stamp Editor window. If you·view the Robotics book·using·the Acrobat Reader and have it on your desktop beside the Stamp Editor window, it will be fairly easy to do.

Please consider working your way through all the activities in the book again. It is not enough to read and understand how they work, you really do need to wire each one up on the breadboard and enter all the code. I had several students last year who could answer all the guestions and explain what the code did, but they could not get the activities to work. Don't be one of those who 'talk the talk' but can't get the job done.
    edited 2005-03-03 21:46
    Thanks again for the help!
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Q, Omnipotent Prankster
    edited 2005-03-03 22:03
    I cut-and-pasted the program for the CD and all Boe-Bot does is spin in a circle.
    Arrrrrrrrrgggggg!
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Q, Omnipotent Prankster
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-03-03 22:34
    Bugg -

This may be far simpler than you ever imagined. I'd go looking for a loose wheel immediately. Victory may be in sight! smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-03-03 23:44
    Bugg -

1. Did the debug window from the 'DisplayBothDistances' program report that the right and the left sensors were seeing a book placed one inch in front of them? You must be able to see the numbers in the debug window change when you move the book out and back.

2. Are the IR diodes and receivers pointing straight out? They should not point up or down!

3. It may be that the servos need to be centered again. I had to adjust mine again just last week. Try running the 'CenterServoP12.bs2' and 'CenterServoP13.bs2' to confirm that the servos are centered and do not turn. After you have confirmed that they do not turn then load 'ServosP13CcwP12Cw.bs2' and confirm that they both turn and that they move the Boe-Bot forward.

4. Did the 'RoamingWithWhiskers.bs2' from chapter 5 work good for you?

5. Do your components and your Boe-Bot look like the ones in the file I posted (other than being pink)?
    edited 2005-03-04 16:55
    Yes, yes, ok, yes, yes.
    I typed the program out of the book and it doesn't work!!!!!!!!! Bruce, what do you mean by "loose wheel"? An example would be that I'm good at electronics, but suck at programing.blush.gif
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    But I canna change the laws of physics, Captain!

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/4/2005 5:02:58 PM GMT
  • edited 2005-03-04 17:06
    Bugg,

I noticed that some of the members suggested that you test both distances detectors, but I haven't seen any results posted. When you run DisplayBothDistances.bs2, I'm guessing you'll find that your distance detectors have some problems that need to be sorted out. Run that program, and try varying the paper's distance from the front of the Boe-Bot. Don't try to turn it, just keep it flat and move it closer to and further from the Boe-Bot. Run the test and post your results here. Then, we'll be able to make a better guess at what the problem is.

Andy
    edited 2005-03-04 17:13
    Yes, the program has worked. It says 0 out to about 2 inches.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-03-04 17:24
    Bugg -

Here is the Boe-Bot product description on the Parallax web site:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28132

In that description, you will find this sentence: "Drive wheels are molded to fit precisely on the servo spline and held in place with a small screw. " I would check to make sure that the wheels are fully on the splines, and that both screws (as noted) on both wheels are firmly tightened. This may be way too simple an answer, but I imagine it's worth the brief check.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-03-04 17:26
    Yes, they are. what would that have to do with my problem?
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2005-03-04 21:54
    This is not enough information to help us help you solve the problem, nor is it enough information for you to trouble-shoot your own problem.

Bugg said...
    Yes, the program has worked. It says 0 out to about 2 inches.
    Do both sensors report the same distance? What's the distance for 1 on the right sensor? What's the distance for 1 on the left sensor? What's the distance for 2 with the right sensor? What's the distance for 2 with the left sensor? Keep going all the way out to 5 for each sensor please. The best way to report it is in a table. So run the program, and test the distance sensitivity of each IR LED and detector and report it to us.

Left Right
    Value Distance Value Distance

0··················· 0
    1··················· 1
    2··················· 2
    3··················· 3
    4··················· 4
    5··················· 5

Earlier, your Boe-Bot failed to turn when you turn the paper target, then later, all your Boe-Bot does is go in circles.

Bruce is trying to rule out whether or not one of your wheels has become loose. Especially if you put them on backward, this is possible and would account for why your Boe-Bot turns around in circles. In this scenario, the output shaft is turning, but the wheel is not turning because it's loose. By backward, I mean that the recessed part of the wheel was not fit over the servo's output shaft.

I am checking the other possible explanation, which is a potential problem with your detectors. If there is either a program or circuit error, one or both of the detectors could be reporting incorrect values, which could also explain why your Boe-Bot did not turn. The fact that now it goes in circles indicates that a new error was introduced, but it still could be a circuit error.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 3/4/2005 10:01:39 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-05 01:50
    GOTO (he he) Parallax CD>>Source Code>>Boe-Bot>>Program 6.3, copy, paste into BS2 Editor, run. NOW THAT PROGRAM DOESN'T WORK! It says 2 when i get the piece of paper closer than 2 inches. I GIVE UP!
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/5/2005 1:54:11 AM GMT
    edited 2005-03-05 02:52
    Bugg:

I owe you a big appology. I misunderstood which chapter and activity you were working on. Somewhere along the line I jumped to the conclusion that you were working in chapter 8 with the IR sensors. You have been talking about "ShadowGuidedBoeBot" right from the beginning, and had never never mentioned "FollowerBoeBot".

Ignore the file I posted, it has nothing to do with "ShadowGuidedBoeBot". Andy's picture of the wiring for building the photo sensitive eyes is pretty plain in the Figure 6-3 picture. The picture in the book on the CD even has some color to it.

The behaviour of turning in a circle can be explained if indeed you were using one of the programs from chapter 8 and you had the circuit from Figure 6-3 on the breadboard.

Are you working with the circuit in Figure 6-3 or Figure 6-9? You are doing a great job, it was my mistake to have started you toward the Activity in chapter 8. Maybe it will give you a head start when you get there.

1. Which Figure in the book you are currently working with?
    2. Which program you are attempting to run?

I'm confident that you will be able to get it working and that someone on this forum will understand and help when you need it.
  • edited 2005-03-05 21:16
    Bugg,

I tested your code and circuit and found the problem, and now it works for my Boe-Bot. So do you want me to post the solution, or do you want to figure it out for yourself? If you want to figure out the problem for yourself, you will have to backtrack through these posts and follow the good advice of the people who posted replies to you. It will also take some additional thinking and testing. On the other hand, if you ask me to post the solution, I will do so. However, I have to caution you that if I do post the solution, you will not have had the opportunity to succeed with the trouble-shooting process and improve as a roboticist.

The choice is yours...

Andy
    edited 2005-03-06 19:44
    Good point, but I can also study it and become a better programmer! Please post! I'm trying to make a Follower Boe-Bot. Also, wait until I post That I either have succeded or failed.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/6/2005 7:48:25 PM GMT
  • edited 2005-03-07 00:57
    Alright then; here is the solution. Below is an excerpt from the program you posted at the beginning of this thread. The reason your Boe-Bot only went forward and backward is because your program was calculating the left and right servo drive levels based on only the distance left (dl) variable. If you change the mtr_right = line below so that it makes its calculation based on dr instead of dl, it will solve the problem.

DO
    · GOSUB get_distance
    · mtr_left = sp - dl * kpl + cp
    · mtr_right = sp - dl * kpr + cp
    · GOSUB send_pulse
    LOOP

In other words, change

· mtr_right = sp - dl * kpr + cp

so that it reads

· mtr_right = sp - dr * kpr + cp
    edited 2005-03-07 15:51
    Oops. Thanks Andy! I'll say it again. Oops. I guess I was just impatient to get it done! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andy Lindsay, YOU ARE DA MAN!!!cool.gif
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (bugg) : 3/8/2005 7:38:32 PM GMT