Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfacing a piezo gyro — Parallax Forums

Interfacing a piezo gyro

glasoglaso Posts: 38
edited 2005-02-17 15:26 in Robotics
Does anyone know how to interface a RC piezo electric gyroscope to a Basic Stamp? I'm trying to find out how are the output signals of those sensors and if there are an easy and reliable way to interface the gyro with a Basic Stamp
1004 x 767 - 82K

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-17 13:20
    From your diagram, it looks like the gyro accepts a relative input and outputs an absolute output.
    I don't do RC stuff, so I could be all wet here but I imagine it works like this:

When the stick on the controller is centered, the gyro controls the servo in the plane until the plane is centered.
    When you push the stick hard left, instead of the plane servo going hard left and staying there (plane rolls), the gyro controls the servo until the plane is hard left and the plane stays hard left.

Again I'm not sure of this, but if put one in a plane that how I would want it to work.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out· the "SX-Video Display Module"

www.TerryHittConsulting.com
    ·
  • glasoglaso Posts: 38
    edited 2005-02-17 13:38
    Do you think if I can connect this gyro to the Basic Stamp and use it as a sensor for a self balancing robot?

Your explication make a lot of sense but I'm trying to figure out howto use the out signal of the gyro as a rotational movement indicator. Another question is about the method of control that this kind of gyro's use to maintain stable the plain. Maybe its a kind of PID or something
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-17 15:17
    The really fun part of DIY or hobbying is experimenting· (it's also the cause of many a bald patch!).

If you have access to an oscilloscope, that would be a good first step.· You need to know what type of signal comes out....is it TTL or a string....is it a control signal for a servo (pulse width dependant).

google around to see if someone else has 'hacked' or 'mod'd' one of these things.· (or reverse engineered)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-17 15:26
    I would think if you input a 1.5ms (center value) pulse into the gyro, at rest you should get a 1.5ms pulse out. If you move the gyro one way the pulse should get longer, and if you move the gyro in the other direction the pulse should get shorter.

If the gyro outputs at the same time as the input pulse is coming in, you will have to use an external circuit (555 timer) to generate a 1.5ms pulse every 20ms. Then simply use PULSIN to measure the length of the pulses coming out of the gyro.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out· the "SX-Video Display Module"

www.TerryHittConsulting.com
    ·