Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
please put an end to the "(No Subject)" threads — Parallax Forums

please put an end to the "(No Subject)" threads

MatthewMatthew Posts: 200
edited 2005-02-16 06:34 in General Discussion
Mods,

Would you all be able to disable people from posting unless there's a title? Maybe you could have a little screen that pops up that says "Please create a subject", if the person clicks submit without creating a subject line, and redirect them to their "New Post" screen without disturbing what they've previously typed.

What do you think?

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-14 17:15
    And if you are able to create a pop-up telling them to put in a subject line....be sure to tell them to be descriptive to their problem....not JUST that they HAVe a problem! idea.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-02-16 01:19
    IT Guy, you might want to jump on this! hop.gif
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I think I know what I'm doing...
    ...Maybe...
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2005-02-16 01:28
    Ok, [noparse][[/noparse]Jumping In]

I need to write a tiny JavaScript to check the length of the subject field text. If it's zero, we raise an alert on the browser to fill in the subject field. When it's in place, one cannot submit a post unless there is something - anything - in the subject field. Ideally, we want more than a single character. Maybe we should make the minimum length four or five characters.

It sounds easy enough, but the client-side scripts are a bit on the busy side. My list is looking like the scroll St. Peter uses at the pearly gates to admit newcomers. And that's just for the forums.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-16 02:47
    Jim said...
    It sounds easy enough, but the client-side scripts are a bit on the busy side. My list is looking like the scroll St. Peter uses at the pearly gates to admit newcomers. And that's just for the forums.

The tasks of a chosen one are never few. smile.gif

Jim
  • MatthewMatthew Posts: 200
    edited 2005-02-16 02:56
    Haha, sweeeeeet.
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-02-16 03:54
    I Dunno, Jim, 'round here, that scroll looks to be pretty short [noparse];)[/noparse]
    Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Bolg: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2005-02-16 06:34
    LOL. I tend to think my glass is half full. Problem is, full of what?? I'll see if I can't get a script change in place in the next day or two. That "should" be easy. (Oh, I'm goning to regret saying that...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.