Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flexipanel Bluetooth Communication Error from PC — Parallax Forums

Flexipanel Bluetooth Communication Error from PC

inakiinaki Posts: 262
edited 2005-02-18 14:31 in Robotics
I am trying the Flexipanel·plugged on·a BOE.
As·client I use a laptop. The laptop is an IBM Thinkpad with Bluetooth running Windows XP.
Although I am able to detect the Flexipanel board plugged on the BOE (that BTW is detected as a mobile phone)·I am unable to connect to it with the client program.

Apparently the Flexipanel is located in PORT COM5. However the Flexipanel Client software is unable to connect to the board. I have tried to use other ports without success. Bluetooth properties shows the port COM5 as connected to the Bluetooth port·but it does not seem to be available to connect to Flexipanel.

Anyone has had any experience·connecting a laptop with the Flexipanel board ?
Does this problem sound familiar to you ?

·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-03 18:58
    It's been a while since I've used the FlexiPanel Bluetooth module, but I was in fact able to use it with a PC client without trouble. Are you able to discovery your FlexiPanel module from "My Bluetooth Places"?

While I was successful, I have found Bluetooth a bit tricky in general. My new Bluetooth phone will sometimes connect to my PC, other times it won't.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2005-02-03 20:57
    Yes, it lists in the 'Bluetooth places'.

Actually I am able to connect to the Flexipanel using a Pocket PC. The problem happens only with the PC. To be honest Bluetooth configuration on the PC is far from being intuitive.

I have been testing the Flexipanel software tools. I started on your article 'More control from the couch' although it is somewhat dated. I have found Flexipanel rather clumsy. Interface behaviour is slow and coding to get control status and setting values is too cumbersome.

I am starting to think on it as a general purpose wireless serial port instead on thinking on it under the perspective of Flexipanel. I think the idea behind Flexipanel 'remote controls' is good but the implementation is far from perfect.

By the way, is possible to use this board as a general wireless serial port ?·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-03 21:08
    You might check the www.flexipanel.com -- if memory strikes me correctly, there is away to do that. Personally, though, I never tried.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2005-02-04 16:47
    Unfortunately it cannot be done. The module acts only as an interface to Flexipanel controls. There is no way to send serial commands directly to Bluetooth. So the Flexipanel cannot be used as a general serial wireless port.

I think the Parallax Bluetooth Transceiver allows this ? Am I right ?
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2005-02-18 14:31
    Yup.