Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
1/4 threaded coupler with set screw — Parallax Forums

1/4 threaded coupler with set screw

bobclarkbobclark Posts: 3
edited 2005-01-14 19:08 in Robotics
I'm having a devil of a time finding a source for a coupler to connect a 1/4 inch threaded rod to a stepper motor.· The shaft diameter of the motor is .197

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
·

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-12 22:28
    got pics?

Do you want to 'extend' the shaft of the stepper to the threaded rod?·

Or do you want the stepper to be connected in a way that when it steps, it rotates the rod?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• bobclarkbobclark Posts: 3
    edited 2005-01-13 03:34
    I'm looking to connect it in a way that when it steps, it rotates the rod.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-13 04:12
    worm gearing?!
    I think you'll need to build up some sort of gearbox!· The last gear would have to have it's teeth in the same pattern as the rod....but I think a worm gear in the right slot pattern (pitch) would work properly.
    Then use a sliding nut to move whatever it is you want.

If you could find a metal collar to put around one end, then glue/weld some teeth on to that (all the way around), then you at least have something connected to the rod that would have.

Here's a quick paint pic!

You could drill through the rod and put a cotter pin in to hold this collar, or key it and put a set screw in...could also use a nut and split washer on either side to hold it on.· This would create some weight, but if you have it balanced properly the stepper shouldn't have a problem moving it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    600 x 600 - 11K
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2005-01-13 07:39
    You are dealing with a metric shaft, .197 in. = 5mm. Don't know if anyone sells metric to standard couplers, but that should set you on the right path. There are some do it yourself cnc web sites around that might have some info.
    kelvin
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-01-13 15:10
    If the end of the rod is supported consider using a piece of plastic or rubber tubing to connect rod and motor. Crankorgan.com uses this technique to attach stepper motors in his CNC designs.
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2005-01-14 19:08
    As i was interested in finding a source for these also, Jameco sells the .197 /.250 hubs and spiders seperately .
    kelvin