edited 2004-12-31 18:07 in Robotics
I have a question. I'm going to build a robot that uses 2 Stamps together
for extra computing power. I need to use the SHIFTIN/SHIFTOUT
commands, but I don't understand how to use them. There will be
one-way communication only. Could I please have some help? -bugg lol.giflol.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-29 23:45
    It would be much easier to use SEROUT (master) and SERIN (slave). You would want to use a flow control pin so that the Master would not send a command when the Slave is busy. SHIFTIN won't work on your slave because the function generates the clock -- it cannot accecpt an external clock as would be generated by the Master.

The Help file shows how to connect two BASIC Stamp through a serial connection with flow control, and the article below will give you even more details.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol3/col/nv81.pdf

The article will show you how to have bi-directional communications between the Master and Slave using just two pins (one for serial, one for flow control).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2004-12-30 00:00
    Thank you for your quick reply! I was thinking of using those
    commands, but did not know if they would work. Can I also ask if my idea for the robot
    will work? -bugg
    edited 2004-12-30 00:05
    p.s. I also need some help figuring out how to connect the two Stamps together.
    -bugg
    edited 2004-12-30 00:17
    Jon-- a nul-modem cable swaps pins 2 and 3, right?-buggl
    edited 2004-12-30 00:28
    After you've read and digested the article things will be much more clear. I don't remember the pinouts of a null-modem cable -- I'm sure you can find a them on the internet (though a meter will let you sort things out in a hurry).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-12-30 00:38
    Thank you. I've tried to connect 2 Stamps together with a serial cable and 2 wires but
    was unsuccessful. There is a book that you might have already read but is very
    interesting. Build your own Robot. -bugg
    edited 2004-12-30 00:44
    I, and many other BASIC Stamp users, have connected BASIC Stamps together for a wide variety of projects. A couple years ago I saw a robot at a DRPG (www.dprg.org) meeting that had six BS2p processors on it, five slaves and a master -- was a neat robot. It can be done. Proceed slowly and carefully, using resistors in your connections to prevent a programming error from damaging pins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-12-31 18:07
    Thank you again. Have you ever played with LEGO Mindstorms? I got a Stamp to
    communicate with it.-bugg