Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BoE-Bot chassis is it bare metal? — Parallax Forums

BoE-Bot chassis is it bare metal?

RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
edited 2004-12-22 04:31 in Robotics
Hi,

I just received my Radio Shack Special BoE-Bot today. I won't have much time to experiment with it till after Christmas, but I did open the box up and look around.

My question is about the BoE-Bot chassis, is it bare metal? I have a hard time telling the difference between bare aluminum and clear anodize. I have not read anything here (anywhere on the Parallax site) that indicates one or the other. My guess is that it is bare metal.

I don't know too much about painting/finishing metals, but I was thinking a color BoE-Bot chassis would look good. My experience is that on aluminum, an anodized finish is way more durable and tougher than a painted finish.

I know there are places you can send in aluminum parts and get them anodized, but I don't know if it matters if the part is already anodized. And I have no idea what this might cost.

I don't expect painting/anodizing would affect operation of the BoE-Bot in any way. If I am wrong about this, let me know.

Thanks for any info.

- Rick

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-22 03:10
    It's brushed aluminum -- anodizing can make the pretty, but drives cost up. I have no idea what it would cost you to get one chassis anodized, but I'm guessing it's more than you paid for the whole kit.

We routinely paint chassis to give them cool colors. Just make sure the metal is very clean, and that you don't put the paint on too thick.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-12-22 03:48
    Check for powder coating....that stuff goes on thick!·

Be aware that it may restrict openings that were otherwise used for pass-thru's or axles or whatever.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-22 04:15
    If you're careful with a can of Kryolan, you can do a really nice job painting your chassis. The guys in our Tech Support group even tried the "hammer finish" paint and it really looked cool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2004-12-22 04:31
    Look for high temp spray paint or epoxy spray paint in most hardware stores. Spray, let it dry, then bake below 200 degrees. The paint hardens quite well. The oven in your kitchen will work with a bit of a smell. But if you have a live-in significant other, forget about it. Get a colorful cat instead.

Rick