Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Power supply — Parallax Forums

Power supply

CenlasoftCenlasoft Posts: 265
edited 2004-12-24 18:03 in Robotics
Hello,
I have been experimenting with a posible robot using 2 pager motors. I made my own wheels and I have a bsii and sx28s. I have a lm293d motor controller or I can use a discrete component halfbridge. My problem is that I want to make this robot small and I would like to use 1 9v battery for all power. Is there a way to split power for motors and 5v regulated for the stamp. Years ago I had bought a tab robot kit and it ran on 1 9v.
Thanks,
Curtis
·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-21 01:23
    You can certainly us a voltage regulator to bring the voltage to your micro down to +5. If those are the parts you're going to use, I'd suggest using the SX28 -- you can program it in BASIC with SX/B (free SX BASIC compiler from us in case you missed it); you get the ease of BASIC with the speed of the SX. And, yes, you can do interrupts in SX/B.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2004-12-22 04:40
    Pager motors typically run on 1.5 to 3 volts. Have you measured the current drain of your motors? Even with a pwm controller the battery may run down rather quickly.

Rick
  • CenlasoftCenlasoft Posts: 265
    edited 2004-12-23 17:12
    Thanks for the input,
    I will be using one 9 volt battery and a 78l05 5v regulator with a discrete half bridge.· Any hints on splitting the 9v to power both the microprocessor and supply the motors?
    Thanks,
    Curtis
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-12-24 03:23
    If you use the SX processor, you can run it from two AA batteries and get MUCH longer battery life, and if the motors are 3V you don't need no stinkin' regulator either.

Are you stuck with a 9V for some reason ?

Bean.
    ·
  • CenlasoftCenlasoft Posts: 265
    edited 2004-12-24 18:03
    Thanks,

I dont need a 9v battery I just thought that the sx needed a 5v regulated power supply. I will use the sx28 I must have misunderstood. Are you saying that 3 volts is fine for the pager motors and the sx28. Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,

Curtis