Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 OEM broken? — Parallax Forums

BS2 OEM broken?

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2000-05-27 04:42 in General Discussion
About two months ago I purchased an OEM BS2 kit from your company
I have been using an OEM BS2 and recently made a connection error andfear I have permanently damaged it. I connected a new 9-volt battery to the VDDand the VSS pins instead of the Vin and VSS pins of the board.· In effect I bypassed the voltageregulator and applied 9 volts directly to the components on the board.Sincethen when I try to download a program I get an Error hardware not found message.Iam using a 386-SX16-computer running MS-DOS 4.01, which seems to be functioningproperly.I had no problems up until this point.Is it possible I have onlydamaged peripheral components, which I can replace, or might I have damaged thePIC chip beyond repair?Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.Ifit is possible I have only damaged peripheral components a diagnostic scheduleto follow to isolate the problem would be great.Thanks
·
·

Comments

• ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-05-27 04:42
    About two months ago I purchased an OEM BS2 kit from your company
    This may sound silly but the same set of circumstances happened·to me.· I though for sure that I had botched up the damn thing just because I wanted to show my wife that I could blink a couple of LEDs· :-(·· I had connected a battery to my BOE and proudly walked into the other room to display the power I had over all things electrical.· After I came back to my computer and sat down to start programming again it wouldn't take the download.· I cursed, I checked my cables, I checked my power, I kept getting the same error.· I than made sure that the BS2 was firmly seated in its sockets and POOF it was communicating again.· Figures it was a mechanical failure [noparse]:)[/noparse]· Hope yours is as simple!

MD

Original Message
    From: CDMacManus [noparse][[/noparse]mailto:cdmacmanus@msn.com]
    Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 6:27 PM
    To: basicstamps@egroups.com
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] BS2 OEM broken?

I have been using an OEM BS2 and recently made a connection error and fear I have permanently damaged it. I connected a new 9-volt battery to the VDD and the VSS pins instead of the Vin and VSS pins of the board.· In effect I bypassed the voltage regulator and applied 9 volts directly to the components on the board.Since then when I try to download a program I get an Error hardware not found message.I am using a 386-SX16-computer running MS-DOS 4.01, which seems to be functioning properly.I had no problems up until this point.Is it possible I have only damaged peripheral components, which I can replace, or might I have damaged the PIC chip beyond repair?Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.If it is possible I have only damaged peripheral components a diagnostic schedule to follow to isolate the problem would be great.Thanks
    ·
    ·