Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Web Based forum — Parallax Forums

Web Based forum

FJR1300AEFJR1300AE Posts: 2
edited 2004-08-31 12:26 in General Discussion
I really dislike this new message system. We went from an automatic e-mail list receiving messages straight to my computer to a manual web based logon·system. Quite a step backwards...

I haven't really taken the time to see if the traffic is the same as Yahoo, but my guess is that it won't be as free flowing. I only posted a couple messages since I started using Stamps, but the e-mail list was a great resource "as it was" for me.·You certainly must have had good reasons to make this change, but I just don't have the time to go through the drudgery of point and click to navigate around a web based system.

Just my whiney two cents. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Bill

Comments

• Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-28 00:00
    Hi RawOne,

A few members let us know that the web-based format was less than optimal for them. We have added an email component thet will allow you to receive an email feed of all messages posted to a forum. Each email contains the text of the post and a link back to that thread on the web site. This was necessary because the email system does not yet process email replies. Go to your Control Panel-Email Subscriptions to subscribe to the email feeds. I think it may be just what you are looking for.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
  • frasencifrasenci Posts: 34
    edited 2004-08-28 00:02
    I think you are absolutely wrong RawOne .... make a short visit to the forum's control panel and you will see that you can receive anything you want in your mailbox.....

hope ite helps

Francisco
  • frasencifrasenci Posts: 34
    edited 2004-08-28 00:08
    Yes Jim , ......and it works great !!!!

Thank you
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-28 00:55
    RawOne said...
    I really dislike this new message system. We went from an automatic e-mail list receiving messages straight to my computer to a manual web based logon·system. Quite a step backwards...

I haven't really taken the time to see if the traffic is the same as Yahoo, but my guess is that it won't be as free flowing. I only posted a couple messages since I started using Stamps, but the e-mail list was a great resource "as it was" for me.·You certainly must have had good reasons to make this change, but I just don't have the time to go through the drudgery of point and click to navigate around a web based system.

Just my whiney two cents. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Bill
    I'm sure this is not what you want to hear [noparse][[/noparse]read], but I feel like there is a better exchange of ideas and the quality of posts are better.·· I'm correcting far fewer tech errors (non-Parallax posts providing incorrect information about our products) here than when the Yahoo free-for-all was in place.· Keep in mind that of the 4000-odd members of the Yahoo group, only about 100 were regular contributors, and the 80/20 rule applied (80% of the total posts came from 20% of the regular contributors).

Hopefully you'll join in and contribute when possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office

Post Edited (Jon Williams) : 8/28/2004 12:58:27 AM GMT
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-28 03:51
    Please don't interpret this as a complaint because it is not a complaint, just an observation.
    When the announcement was made about this new forum (which I like better than the previous for several reasons) one of the rational given was that Parallax will be able to provide better support and I have no reason to believe that is not occurring.
    However, there seems to be next to zero support (posts from a parallax rep) to the SX list.
    Just my 0.02 cents.
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-08-29 23:23
    I think the new web based forum is a major improvement over the ad filled yahoo Smile.· The UI is 10x better and now posts are easily searched.· Thank you Parallax team!
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-30 06:58
    >>However, there seems to be next to zero support (posts from a parallax rep) to the SX list.

That's an interesting point. I'll make an inquery to find out why.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
    edited 2004-08-30 11:58
    The idea behind a PUBLIC forum is that one can get information from all over -- especially from those that really use a given product. While I feel quite confident in providing answers to BASIC Stamp questions, the SX is not my strong suit. The same holds true for most Parallax employees; our SX expertise are with key development engineers who don't have much of a chance to visit the forum.

That said, G
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-30 14:15
    Fair enough. All the names you mentioned have indeed been a great help to me using the SX. Not sure about Terry Hitt, unless he is posting under an alias name.
    Jon Williams said...
    The idea behind a PUBLIC forum is that one can get information from all over -- especially from those that really use a given product. While I feel quite confident in providing answers to BASIC Stamp questions, the SX is not my strong suit. The same holds true for most Parallax employees; our SX expertise are with key development engineers who don't have much of a chance to visit the forum.

That said, G
    edited 2004-08-30 16:49
    Terry is known on the forum as "Bean."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • FJR1300AEFJR1300AE Posts: 2
    edited 2004-08-31 12:26
    Thank you, I wasn't aware that feature was available.

IT Guy (Parallax) said...
    Hi RawOne,

A few members let us know that the web-based format was less than optimal for them. We have added an email component thet will allow you to receive an email feed of all messages posted to a forum. Each email contains the text of the post and a link back to that thread on the web site. This was necessary because the email system does not yet process email replies. Go to your Control Panel-Email Subscriptions to subscribe to the email feeds. I think it may be just what you are looking for.