Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to the Stamp and want more. — Parallax Forums

New to the Stamp and want more.

Velvet LeopardVelvet Leopard Posts: 47
edited 2004-08-12 21:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hewwo.· I have just recently purchased the "What's a Microcontroller" Book and Kit from my local Radio Shack.· It came with the Basic Stamp II Homework Board.· I have never used Microcontrollers before, but I flew through the book and comprehended all of it.· I even took extra steps to expand the projects and come up with a couple of my own.· I also have an old "300-in-1 Electronics Lab" that came with a huge breadboard, multiple LEDs, pushbuttons, a transformer, antenna, coils, and even photoresistor, and speakers, etc, etc.· I also want to get into PIC programming being that I seem to have had such good experience learning the stamp.· I want to integrate the two.· My question is this.· I want to use my Basic Stamp II Homework board, and the other kit's breadboard if needed, to program various PIC Micros.· I believe it can be done.· I know how the Stamp is programed and how it executes it's programming and how PICs are programed, but I want to create a project that would make it possible to place a PIC of some kind, it would be nice for all PICs but that is probably stretching it, onto the breadboard and simply using the Stamp and a small porgram to transfer a PIC's program from the PC to the PIC.· Is this possible with the technology I have?· If so, I would love to accomplish this.· I would rather use my Stamp to program my PICs than have to go to another company and buy a specialized expensive PIC programmer.· I thank you for your time.

Comments

• jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-11 04:42
    I dont know (im sure somone else does though) if its possible to do what your wanting to do, I would assume its not possible.

Anyways, I dont know if you like these kind of things but have a look at this: http://www.apogeekits.com/pic_programmer_k8048.htm

Im going to order me one before long.
  • Velvet LeopardVelvet Leopard Posts: 47
    edited 2004-08-11 05:04
    Sorry, but I don't have the money for a programmer.· I have my Stamp kit and I have my PICs.· I also some lots of various components except for the ability to make my own PCBs.· I would like to stay loyal to Parallax when buying anything I may have the money for.· If my idea to use the Stamp to program another micro is impossible, then what extra components and software would I need to biuld onto the stamp to do this.· I believe that this CAN be done.· I don't realize any reason it wouldn't.
  • jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-11 06:35
    Sorry, I cant help you about the pic programming.

But for your printed circuit boards you can go to radioshack and get a kit for like $15. It comes with prety much everything you need, 2 blank boards, etchant solution, alchohol, drill bit, sharpie, abrasive pad.

The only other thing you might need is the dry rub transfers (about $3-4), you dont neccesarilly need them but your boards will look better if you use them instead of trying to hand draw the patterns.
  • K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-08-11 11:15
    Hi Velvet,

The K8048 does the programming without an extra microcontroller, it uses only a few transistors and resistors.

So why bother to put in an extra Stamp? You will have more fun using the Stamp for really nice projects. And besides, a K8048 will probably cost you less than a BS2 smile.gif.

You can find all the details of the K8048 on the web.

Klaus
  • AlWilliamsAWCAlWilliamsAWC Posts: 135
    edited 2004-08-11 13:00
    We used to sell a kit that does just that -- programs a PIC16F84 with a Stamp. Although we haven't sold it for quite some time, the software and plans are in Microcontroller Projects with Basic Stamps (available from Parallax, among others).

So yes, it is possible to program a PIC (or probably anything else within reason) with the Stamp.

Regards,

Al Williams
    AWC
    Kits!
    http://www.awce.com/kits.htm
    ·
    edited 2004-08-12 00:42
    Mr.· Williams.· I thank you so much for your reply.· I must have this kit!· PLease give me a link or something I can use to get it.· If I can't get the kit, does it consist of components I can get from my part bins?· Or would I HAVE to buy the kit?· Thanks again for clearing that question up.· I just knew it could be done.· tongue.gif
  • RW64RW64 Posts: 1
    edited 2004-08-12 11:10
    You may want to check out an application called Pony Programmer.· The interface can be built with a few parts and the application makes it possible to program many diferent types of pics.· Let me know if you need more info with this app.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Robert W. Williams
    edited 2004-08-12 13:13
    You can get the book from our hosts at http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27952. It is not a new book, but it is still in print. Of course, by the time you spend on the book you could probably buy a programmer. On the other hand, the book has a lot of other useful aspects.

The parts required are trivial (outside of the Stamp and a PC, of course). You need 2 or 3 resistors, a 2N2222, and optionally a common diode if you want to get 12V off the PC (which doesn't always work -- depends on your PC). The real key, of course, is the software which is on the book's CDROM.

Keep in mind that this only programs 16F84s, although you could probably adapt it to do others if you dig in deep enough to understand how it works. We have a lot of resources on the successors to this kit at .

Regards,

Al Williams
    AWC
    Free Tutorials
    http://tutor.al-williams.com

Post Edited (Al Williams/AWC) : 8/12/2004 1:16:51 PM GMT
    edited 2004-08-12 19:21
    Hewwo.· I tried the link, but it said the product could not be found.· [noparse]/noparse][noparse]:([/noparse· I guess I'm going to have to give up on this.· Now I don't knwo what to do with my 12 PICs.· [noparse]/noparse][noparse]:([/noparse· I really wished I could have used them.
    edited 2004-08-12 19:26
    Hmmm.... the link works for me. If you go to the Parallax main page and click on Products and then Books you should be able to find it. You can also find it on Amazon, Bn, etc.
    edited 2004-08-12 20:56
    K k.· I will check that out.· Is it possible to get the book in online format so I can save it?· Thanks alot.
    edited 2004-08-12 20:59
    The publisher only makes this title available in print. There are some number of pages in PDF format on the Parallax web site as a "preview" but I don't think it is the part you are looking for.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2004-08-12 21:00
    I don't think Microcontroller Projects for Basic Stamp is downloadable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    USB-powered Stamp Board

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
    edited 2004-08-12 21:18
    Darn it!· *The leopard sighs.*· I guess I WILL have to give up on my PICs.·
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2004-08-12 21:24
    That book is a bargain.· Go to the Parallax site, search for it, then click on the download preview.· Just read the index and look at all the good stuff that is in the book

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    USB-powered Stamp Board

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·