Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp line by line — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp line by line

ionion Posts: 101
edited 2004-08-09 13:29 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
Does anyone knows how to run the basic stamp program one line at the time for debuging.
Somenthing like Winice wher you can step in aprogram one line at the time and have the content of memory displayed.
The next question is how to setup multiple debug windows. The software show 4 but i do not know how to use more then one. It will be nice to set up diferent debug window for diferent variable.
Thanks
Ion

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-09 12:22
    There is no room in the BASIC Stamp's interpreter core to allow it to run step-by-step like one can with some micros (like the SX, for example). What we frequently recommend is that you build your code in a modular fashion such that each module (subroutine) can be independently tested. Once a routine is working, add to it until your project is done.

The DEBUG windows are specialized terminals. You can only "DEBUG" to one at a time, as the DEBUG output is through the COM port used for programming. If you have serial output from your project and open ports on your PC, you can use additional DEBUG windows to receive the serial data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • AlWilliamsAWCAlWilliamsAWC Posts: 135
    edited 2004-08-09 13:29
    Actually, I showed how to do this in a Stamp Project of the Month a few months back, but it required a BS2p and eats up some program space to write a monitor. You also have to preprocess your code with awk to insert "breaks" after each line before sending it to the Stamp.

I don't know how really practical it is, but it does work.

Regards,

Al Williams
    AWC
    http://www.awce.com
    ·