Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2P24 schematic and PRO board differences — Parallax Forums

BS2P24 schematic and PRO board differences

bobhillierbobhillier Posts: 27
edited 2004-08-01 16:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi! I'm new to Stamps. I was an assembly language programmer for 10 years. I then moved onto management and forgot everything about coding (except NOPs). Now, as a hobbyist, I've started to work with Stamps. WOW!·This is a really·cool product!!!
·
I received my BS2p24 PRO board on Wed. I've run a bunch of demo programs and am well on my way to writing my own code. I have my main project fairly well thought out and am progressing through my project plan as planned.
·
I noticed....
The BS2p24 schematic shows R2 pull-up resistor as 4.7K whereas the actual board has a 1K resistor. Is this significant? What is the difference or result of using a 1K pull-up instead of a 4.7K pull-up? (....besides 3700 ohms.) In my own circuit, are there technical reasons to use a 4.7K pull-up resistor over a 1K pull-up resistor (and vice-a-versa)?
·
I also noticed the schematic has the X5 and X6 connector labels reversed compared to the physical board devices.
·
One last thing....
I made a lab bench housing for my PRO board using a cut-out section of the plastic cover used in the kit packaging. I have attached a picture of this for anyone who is interested. Basically, I have cut-outs on the housing for the serial cable, power connector, RJ11 connectors and the reset switch. The rest of the board is covered with the plastic housing. I stapled one end of the package and it acts like a hinge. This keeps cats and tiny fingers from probing the board on my bench (actually, on my desk). Perhaps the Parallax guys could modify their packaging a bit to accommodate this simple product enhancement. It would be great for students/hobbyists with boards to protect.
·
·
"Happy Stamper" Bob
·
·N45 18 30·· W75 54 17
·········· G16 #27
·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
······ Bob, Ottawa
W75 54 17·· N45 18 30
·········· G16 #27
504 x 414 - 119K

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-01 16:15
    The change from 4.7K to 1K will actually help you. The typical value for I2C and 1-Wire pull-ups is 4.7K, but we've found that some cables prevent reliable communications with 4.7K. Providing a "stiffer" pull-up usually fixes this problem, and that's what we've done.

I'll have a look at the docs and fix any errors that you've pointed out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office