Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Search and Rescue BS2 robot — Parallax Forums

Search and Rescue BS2 robot

de173de173 Posts: 4
edited 2004-07-28 13:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone. I am new in "town". I am on a project with a boe bot and BS2 microcontroller and i am trying to use it on·tough situations like "search and rescue" projects.
First of all i would like to ask if anyone has ever tried this before. Was it so difficult?
Can i use Boe-Bot CMUcam ( http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30051·) in order to see what my robot sees in front of it? And if this can be done, can we do it wireless?
Is there any sound sensor-detector so i can "drive" my robot to the source of sound?

I know that i might not have any response but thanks in advance·smile.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-07-27 14:54
    If you're building a search-and-rescue model you may consider putting the tank tread kit on your BOE-Bot. And you won't be able to "see" what the CMU-cam sees. We used to sell a wireless video transmitter, but not many moved so we discontinued it. A web search should turn up several viable options.

Good luck with your project -- and it certainly is doable. We used to have a demo robot that one could remotely pilot with a joystick. The platform we used was a BOE-Bot ... with lots of stuff added on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • de173de173 Posts: 4
    edited 2004-07-28 10:44
    Can i use the Gripper and the 418 MHz Receiver on it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Save me from MADNESS! :@
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-07-28 12:15
    I think you have to be careful the type of transmitter that it is.

Video takes up some pretty good bandwidth and I'm guessing that 418Mhz Tx is data if not only analog (voice).

I've never tried using a regular transmitter to fire off video....but I'd assume you'd loose a lot of quality in the picture (if it would even be visible at all!).

As far as driving to the source of sound....think about a small cannon mic or a parabolic mic!

You definately need a directional mic and a means of locating it's direction (rotate vehicle or rotate mic....or multiple mics through signal comparators).

Then of course....what sound are you listening for?· for a SAR situation...you'll have lots of other noise going on and I'm guessing you want to detect a whimper or someone crying for help.· Unless you're the one doing the listening, I'm not sure you'd be able to get the stamp/bot to do it automatically!· But your idea sounds cool as a surveillance device!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Steve
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2004-07-28 13:09
    Ramsey Electronics has a neat little color video camera and a cube video transmitter.· I had them mounted on my RF controlled BoeBot and used a small inexpensive TV to monitor the video on Ch. 59.· With the BoeBot in the garage, I can set in the office and see what is in the driveway, or drive the·BoeBot outside and look down the street.· The whole thing was controlled by a keypad TX module in the office.· The BoeBot was programmed so that I could turn the video on for five minutes by pressing the proper key on my Tx module.· The video ran for 5 minutes·and then turned itself off.· The video transmitter takes 12 volts so I had to add a four cell battery pack· on the BoeBot.· The whole project took a bit of effort, but when I was done I had a roving video system.turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    check out our 4-digit serial LED

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·