Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 appreciation post — Parallax Forums

P2 appreciation post

Just a quick heads-up. Working with the P2 makes me really, really happy. Big simile on my face right now.

While the documentation is still a bit wanting, I was able to not only modify Johnny Mac's SPI code to support MODE 1, but also just now needed 20 minutes tops to wrap my ADS1256 interface into a asynchronous, own cog-driven variant in preparation for a fully async data acquisition into a ring-buffer. All thanks to the new "ATN strobes" (attention?). Really nice.

My only (very small!) chagrin is that as die-hard Emacs-user on unixoids won't benefit from the propeller tool. But that's my fault for being old-school.

Great work everyone, really looking forward to dive deeper into this marvelous piece of silicon!

D

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2021-03-13 16:38

I am glad you are happy, deets! Thanks for posting this.

Yes, ATN means "attention".

• @deets : As a fellow die-hard Emacs user, I built a bunch of command line tools (like flexspin and loadp2) that work well on Unix. They're bundled in a simple GUI called FlexProp, but you can just ignore the GUI and use the tools directly from the command line (or from emacs!). If that's your preferred environment you might want to give them a whirl.

I will second your sentiment of course that @cgracey did a fantastic job with the P2, and it's a lot of fun to play with!

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187

Cheers to Chip from this corner too. So much to investigate, and learning new engineering too. Both in how chips are made and software functions. Great forum, great people.

Evan

• @ersmith I'm aware of your great work, in fact I'm using it! I created a little abstraction via python on top that allows me to declare include-paths, P1/P2, serial ports by ID, etc, that I invoke through projectile. It is inspired by cargo from rust.

I also have a prop-mode for spin/pasm in it's infancy, just some basic keyword highlighting. The thing I miss most on that is indentation support on the level I get with python mode. Well, learning emacs lisp has never hurt either ;)

• @deets said:
    I also have a prop-mode for spin/pasm in it's infancy, just some basic keyword highlighting. The thing I miss most on that is indentation support on the level I get with python mode. Well, learning emacs lisp has never >hurt either ;)

As a fellow Emacs die-hard, I approve this message! :)

• @RobertF I'll post here if I extract it so others can use it. It currently is embedded in my personal emacs setup which is private for company-reasons. But I'll put it on my github soon.