Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Edge module getting hot — Parallax Forums

Edge module getting hot

Got my 2 Edge modules from mouser today, together with the nice JonMcPhalen Edge Module Breadboard. Love it!

But one of the Edge Boards seem to have an issue. When using that board the Power LED together with the P56 and P57 flicker. Chip is getting pretty warm very fast even though it can run software sending back serial output.

As you can see on the image, the board got damaged on it's way to germany, or maybe before because there are no remains in the shielding bag. Is it possible that the inductor alone can cause this issue?

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2021-03-04 23:29

I don't think a broken inductor top would affect much, but maybe you could measure the 1.8 volt output to see that it is where it should be.

We had another customer that noticed a broken inductor the other day. It was Jim Bagley. I will ask him if he's noticed anything weird about that P2 Edge. I think those inductors are breaking during handling, maybe from washing after soldering. We need to be more careful. On the next P2 Edge module, we are going to use sealed SMPS units which have the inductors and diodes built into them. This will enable the P2 Edge to be powered from up to 20 volts. This will get us around the problems we are having with people blowing up their P2 Edges by plugging in 12 volt power supplies.

Your P2 Edge should not be getting hot so easily. We may have to replace it.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

If it is just the seal plastic then no problems, but if it is the ferrite then this is an issue as it changes the inductor properties. However with this small piece it would be more likely to result in noise on the power line which really shouldn't have much effect on the heat of the P2.

Are you running software on the P2 or it it just idle when getting hot? Hot is a relative thing. A chip can feel hot at well under 40C but that is nothing to worry about.

• I did not flash the board so far, but after switching on the P2 is getting hot real quick. Current usage is around 500mA. Same procedure with the 2nd module and the current is only 100mA.

On the defect one Vdd seems to be OK with stable 1.8V. But V32 and V56 show 0V. All others are fine with 3.2V (same as the output on the other board).

• Hi MagIO2!

I'd quite like to see that module. I'll contact you by PM to see about shipping a replacement to you, and collecting the bad one.

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108

@cgracey said:
    I don't think a broken inductor top would affect much, but maybe you could measure the 1.8 volt output to see that it is where it should be.

We had another customer that noticed a broken inductor the other day. It was Jim Bagley. I will ask him if he's noticed anything weird about that P2 Edge. I think those inductors are breaking during handling, maybe from washing after soldering. We need to be more careful. On the next P2 Edge module, we are going to use sealed SMPS units which have the inductors and diodes built into them. This will enable the P2 Edge to be powered from up to 20 volts. This will get us around the problems we are having with people blowing up their P2 Edges by plugging in 12 volt power supplies.

Plugging it into 12V? Who would do such a daft thing? ;-)

• @Coley said:

@cgracey said:

@Coley I can replace yours too. Send me an e-mail. KG

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108

@"Ken Gracey" said:

@Coley said:

@cgracey said:

@Coley I can replace yours too. Send me an e-mail. KG

No need Ken but thanks anyway. There's already one winging it's way to me via Jim.
    And I've ordered a couple more off Digikey just in case :smiley: