Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Strange IC !? — Parallax Forums

Strange IC !?

Hi Guys...

Still tinkering with stuff here.
Recently I bought a "Surprise Box" from Electronic Goldmine. There were quite a few neat items I could put some future use.
There were also some items I can only describe as "Helzits". You know, as in "What the Helzit"? I can probably figure out what many of them are given time. There was one however that I can find no information on at all. It's a 30 pin dip marked NEC C2315CA. Anyone have an idea of what this might be or where I can find a Datasheet. Probably some proprietary thing with only one specific application but "It tasks me and I shall have it!" (Hopefully)
Anyway, thanks for any wisdom. Y'all are very appreciated here!!!

Amanda

Comments

• rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 449
    edited 2021-02-15 20:24

Most likely this (via ebay )
    uPC2315CA
    30 Pin DIP
    Chroma Processor Circuit

Could not find datasheet though

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

Back in the 70's and 80's it was common for manufacturers to buy chips with their own internal part numbers marked on the chips instead of the manufacturers part numbers. Sometimes there was a logo and sometimes it was absent.
    However, I don't think this is one of them. rosco_pc seems to have found yours but no datasheet.

• try crossing it against ECG. If it was a TV part odds are they sourced them as well. ECG has always carried a lot of tv audio replacements like that.

• Hey Guys

Thanks for the responses.
    I'm not sure what "ECG" is... beyond a procedure to check on my slightly wonky heart.

@"frank freedman" said:
    try crossing it against ECG. If it was a TV part odds are they sourced them as well. ECG has always carried a lot of tv audio replacements like that.

The chip is sitting on my desk in a piece of antistatic foam and I swear I can hear it snickering at me. :)

Amanda

• @ajward said:
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the responses.
    I'm not sure what "ECG" is... beyond a procedure to check on my slightly wonky heart.

@"frank freedman" said:
    try crossing it against ECG. If it was a TV part odds are they sourced them as well. ECG has always carried a lot of tv audio replacements like that.

The chip is sitting on my desk in a piece of antistatic foam and I swear I can hear it snickering at me. :)

Amanda

In the past ECG generated cross-reference lists/guides for a wide array of Electronic components. I believe NTE absorbed ECG many moons ago. I searched the current NTE site for your IC with no success.

So far the only references on the internet for ECG guides/PDFs I've found, all want you to create logins to gain access to them. I don't feel that I want to do that. There are supposedly some for sale on various auction sites.

I may have some old ECG guides in my stash, I will have to dig them out to take a look for your elusive IC.

• Sorry about that... forgot that ECG became NTE.

• My guess is a sound prcessing IC, or TV part. This is the closes match, 30 pins Bada bing.

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2021-02-26 05:46

Another possibility, at least the (too bad) scanned datasheet mentions the right part number, from NEC.

My Chinese was never too rusty as nowadays...

The waveforms along the pages seems to confirm it's a chroma processor, and I saw it mentioned as part of some (old) VCR stuff (W:\VCR IC GUIDE (CHINESE BOOK)\250 UPC2315CA.PNG).

Anyway... Good luck!

• I did find a data sheet for that exact number, only 3-4 pages, hope you can read chinese

• Pin 2=grd, pin 16=5v Vcc

• Page 1

2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • That is clearly Japanese though, not Chinese.
    You can tell the difference by the presence of the simpler-looking kana characters, Chinese doesn't have those

• YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2021-02-26 11:37

Dōmo arigatō, Wuerfel _ 21! Tashika ni, setsumei wa takaku hyōka sa remashita. :smile:

• Looks like Greek to me.