Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Feature Request: JonnyMac Board — Parallax Forums

Feature Request: JonnyMac Board

@"Ken Gracey" @JonnyMac Would it be possible to add mod to future versions of the JonnyMac board?

The Minions keep tweaking the PropPlug. It gets disconnected, torqued, or the mating pins get bent/rebent/broken. It dawns on me that a couple of well placed vias on the baseboard located just to the outside edge of the PropPlug would let me solder an insulated wire across it to act as a restraint. Or maybe just place a couple of holes big enough to loop a wiretie thru? Currently I'm using hot-melt glue to secure the PropPlug, and this works, but its... ugly. :)

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2021-02-06 17:19

I put double-sided sticky tape on the bottom of the PropPlug and dedicate it to the JonnyMac board. Indeed, I have about five PropPlugs, and they're all allocated to the boards. Of course, it's easier for me to simply grab one from inventory.

Your ideas are all good, too. Let us look into this. I like the wire/mini zip-tie approach. Hot glue, oy vey! 'nuff said!

Ken Gracey

• My one and only original ProgPlug broke long ago due to too much bending. I have soldered four 1" stranded wires and a new socket to it for "stress relief". Never broke again since then.

• @ManAtWork comment sent me looking more carefully at the PropPlug. Sure enough, beneath the surface-mount 4-pin connector on the PropPlug there are thru-hole pads on 0.100" centers. So the next time something breaks, I'll desolder both the PP's socket and the right-angle pins on the backboard. If I replace the 90 degree pins with a straight header row and then solder the PP onto the backboard supported with a layer of Ken's magic tape, we should be good to go forever.

BTW Ken, you should see some of my misadventures with J&B Weld... :)