Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Edge socket DipTrace files posted to four pages — Parallax Forums

P2 Edge socket DipTrace files posted to four pages

Hello,

Yesterday at the P2 Live Forum a request was made for these DipTrace files. They are posted to each of the P2 Edge socket pages.

Ken Gracey

Comments

• Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hello,

Yesterday at the P2 Live Forum a request was made for these DipTrace files. They are posted to each of the P2 Edge socket pages.

Ken Gracey

Thank you Ken

Now we all have access to the P2 Edge sockets and the P2 itself for designing circuits using Diptrace.
  • @"Ken Gracey" Could your diptrace designer export the files as an Eagle project? KiCAD can't import diptrace files directly but it is suppose to be able to import diptrace files exported as Eagle projects.
  • CJMJ wrote: »
    @"Ken Gracey" Could your diptrace designer export the files as an Eagle project? KiCAD can't import diptrace files directly but it is suppose to be able to import diptrace files exported as Eagle projects.

CJMJ,

I've attached a zip file that contains the "Parallax-P2.ldr" file that was created when I exported the Parallax Diptrace Component library in Eagle format.

Try unpacking and importing the file and let us know if this is what you wanted/needed.
  • @"Francis Bauer" Thanks for the .lbr file, however, KiCAD doesn't recognize it. I'm sorry. I should have been more specific but I've never used this feature before. I was simply regurgitating information I found online and that wasn't very helpful. I've enclosed a couple of images of the actual import feature that might be more helpful. Do those help?
    @"Francis Bauer" Thanks for the .lbr file, however, KiCAD doesn't recognize it. I'm sorry. I should have been more specific but I've never used this feature before. I was simply regurgitating information I found online and that wasn't very helpful. I've enclosed a couple of images of the actual import feature that might be more helpful. Do those help?

Diptrace can only export Eagle .lbr files, not Eagle project files.

Using SnapEDA (online tool/site) I was able to convert the Eagle .lbr files into KiCad (Version 4 or greater) .mod files. I don't use KiCAD, so I don't know if the converted files are of any use.

I've attached the converted files. There are some KiCAD import instructions from SnapEDA in one of the zip files, these should help you import the files.

Let us know if these files help you...
  • Thanks for the file. I'll checkout the SnapEDA tool.

This zip file basically contains:

(1) a symbol for the connector [the .lib file]
    (2) a footprint [.mod] files for the connector
    (3) a footprint for the P2 [which I don't like because it doesn't have the thermal vias under the P2]. Which is OK I've already created my own P2 symbol and footprint for KiCAD.

I found the 3D models for the connectors in another file on the Parallax site for the P2.

The two remaining things missing are schematic for the P2 Module and the PCB layout file.

The P2 Module page has a PDF of the schematic and a diptrace .dch file which I'm assuming is the actual. If I can't find a way to convert the .dch I'll just recapture it from the PDF file.

The layout file I can't recreate because I don't have the physical locations of the various components.

So my remaining tasks are:
    (1) convert the P2-EC-RevA-P2-Edge-Module-SCHEMATIC-1116.dch into something KiCAD can read.
    (2) find the actual PCB layout file of the P2 Edge.

Just for the record, KiCAD schematics end in .sch, PCB layouts end in .kicad_pcb

Thanks for all your help!
    Thanks for the file. I'll checkout the SnapEDA tool.

This zip file basically contains:

(1) a symbol for the connector [the .lib file]
    (2) a footprint [.mod] files for the connector
    (3) a footprint for the P2 [which I don't like because it doesn't have the thermal vias under the P2]. Which is OK I've already created my own P2 symbol and footprint for KiCAD.

I found the 3D models for the connectors in another file on the Parallax site for the P2.

The two remaining things missing are schematic for the P2 Module and the PCB layout file.

The P2 Module page has a PDF of the schematic and a diptrace .dch file which I'm assuming is the actual. If I can't find a way to convert the .dch I'll just recapture it from the PDF file.

The layout file I can't recreate because I don't have the physical locations of the various components.

So my remaining tasks are:
    (1) convert the P2-EC-RevA-P2-Edge-Module-SCHEMATIC-1116.dch into something KiCAD can read.
    (2) find the actual PCB layout file of the P2 Edge.

Just for the record, KiCAD schematics end in .sch, PCB layouts end in .kicad_pcb

Thanks for all your help!

I was able to export an Eagle .sch file for the P2-EC-RevA Edge module from Diptrace. It appears to load into KiCAD, give it a try, I've attached the zip file.

I haven't found any PCB layout files yet...
  • I haven't found any PCB layout files yet...

Time permitting, there will be a bunch of Diptrace PCB layout files shared for P2 products hopefully by end of January.
    Ideally much sooner, but no promises this week on time- only that they are on the way and fairly high on the priorities list.